Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Book of Three by LLoyd Alexander

>

luvtulearn

Book of Three by LLoyd Alexander
Old 10-26-2017, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Posted this on another thread and didn't get any responses so I thought I could give this a
second try. . .

Anyone read this with your 4th-5th grade students? I want to work up to reading this book with my before school reading group by March. We will begin this group in Nov. The principal is offering to buy books for this now so I can't read it first myself or get a feel for if they would like it. The students will be a bit below grade level but I will guide them through this . Also would you recommend this for bibliotherapy? That's how I am getting the funds for it. Bibliotherapy is getting recognition around here and I think it's great. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by luvtulearn; 10-26-2017 at 09:14 PM..
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 10-27-2017, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have read it years ago. I liked it, but rarely could get a student to read it. It is fairly challenging. Disney made a little known animated movie based on the series years ago- The Black Cauldron. What else would you like to know???
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

The Book of Three
Old 10-27-2017, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is one of my favourite books to read to students in grades 4 and 5, although I believe they could read it by themselves with a bit of vocabulary development. I get a little bit crazy with the character voices, especially Gurgi.

I have used this book to get the kids interested in fantasy and Medieval times. They love that. One year it led to a month-long study where students picked topics to research, and presented their new learning.

Last edited by Suezie; 10-27-2017 at 11:16 AM..
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 10-30-2017, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've never tried reading it aloud to kids before. It was one of my favorite books as a kid. As with Sam5, I've rarely had a kid get into it on their own. With below grade level kids, they'd require some support, likely.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote