BusyBoard

Coworkers

>

SignedOut

SignedOut

Coworkers
Old 10-31-2017, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a coworker that I am feeling frustrated with, and I want to know if I'm upset with reason or if I need to adjust how I think about the situation.

Backstory: I teach math at a private high school. There is one other math teacher at this school. I had the same group of children for the last two years for their Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1 sequence. This other teacher now has them for Geometry. I tutor on the side for extra money, and I tutor 3 of the 8 Geometry students.

Student A has always been an A/B+ math student for me. She usually got A's on the tests, never misses a homework assignment, completes all extra credit assignments. I tutor her, and I think although Geometry isn't her strong suit mathematically, that she would still be a B+/A- student overall.

After I tutored her last week and left feeling very confident that she would pass her test with a good score, I learned that she got a D on the exam. I am not sure how it's even possible. I asked the teacher if I could get a copy of her test so I could go over it with her during tutoring to address her misunderstandings. And the reply I got was this, "I'm thinking I want my students to deal directly with me when it comes to the tests and quizzes I give them. I hope that isn't weird (I know you are tutoring her).

Am I wrong for thinking it is strange that he won't let another colleague see his exams? Am I wrong for wanting to go over the test with this student during her tutoring session? I've tutored before, and usually the classroom teachers are happy to have me go over bad tests with students.

[[advice please]]

**I've been invited to sit in on the meeting with the student's parents and the classroom teacher to go over the test. I just feel like this is silly? Why can I sit in on the meeting, but not just see the test?

TAOEP

Old 10-31-2017, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would imagine that the teacher doesn't want to be in the situation of having a colleague criticizing either his test or the way he grades it. He may well be uncomfortable with the fact that you are tutoring 3 of 8 students. That's a really high percentage, but it may be common in your school for students to get tutors.

Can you get around those issues by asking him to let you know what specific concepts, procedures, etc. the student needs help with? For example, does she not understand the detail in definitions? Does she need to memorize theorems? Is she not showing her work in the way he requires?

Be very careful not to criticize the other teacher in talking with either students or parents. They may have some legitimate concerns (or maybe not), but you need to stay out of it. Basically, your response to complaints is that there are many very effective ways to teach, Mr. Geometry is their teacher now, and that you have every confidence that with his guidance and their continued hard work they will master the material. And you are happy to work as a part of that team.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-31-2017, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Algebra and Geometry are very different. I was great in Algebra and barely passed Geometry. It's also entirely possible she has test anxiety.

As for not allowing you to see the test, I agree with PP, ask what specific concepts she struggled with so you can address them with her.

As for the meeting, I'm not sure what your purpose is for being there other than as the tutor. Personally, I wouldn't go. I think it would put you in an awkward situation.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

time to let go
Old 10-31-2017, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wouldn't overstep my bounds. It's great that you're still keeping connection with former students. Here's my thing, if you are truly collaborative, you guys would be sharing ideas and resources with each other. Naturally, helping students become part of the conversation. If extra help sessions are being provided then sharing of materials and resources should follow. Since this adult is the only one that teaches this course, I would stand in as supplemental help. This adult would be the primary help and student should go to this adult first. If this adult asks you for help then that's when you could collaborate more for the sake of this student you're helping on the side. I would leave the student with that adult be and allow their working relationship to flourish.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Welp...
Old 10-31-2017, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Geometry is a whole different beast.

I passed calc 1 through 4. My husbsnd barely passed calc 1.

I grade grubbed a C in geometry. My husband received an A +.

Geometry is almost like another foreign language.

Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 10-31-2017, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Math is not my thing... I struggled my entire academic career. (I have a degree in Literature if that tells you anything . That being said, Geometry is the only math class that I ever earned an A in. I could actually "get it". This from the student who worked her tail off to get C's.

So, I don't have much to specifically contribute other than I agree with the PPs
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote