Late today. Embarrassed and a little paranoid. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Late today. Embarrassed and a little paranoid.

>

MissELA

Late today. Embarrassed and a little paranoid.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm on week two of a month long assignment and today I was late. There was more traffic than I ever saw in the area today. I called the school and let the secretary know right away. I ended up being about 10 minutes late. P asked if I was okay and that there were several roads backed up today. He did not seem angry or frustrated. Luckily I don't have a homeroom, so they didn't need someone to cover. I always leave the same time each day and that includes extra time for traffic.

I'm so embarrassed and a bit paranoid. Ultimately I would like to get a job in this school and I know they really like me so far. I'm just afraid this put me in a bad light even though I'm never late and have always come early for this assignment. Should I be worried?

MissELA is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 09-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds like the principal understands and you did call to let them know. Things happen. I wouldn't worry about it, just leave earlier in the future.

I did this during my student teaching assignment and the principal was great. She said others coming that way had problems too. I got there later than I planned, but still made the morning meeting before school.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Late because of Traffic
Old 09-27-2017, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You mentioned the P said there were several roads that were backed up. A lot of parents probably had the same trouble getting their kids to school, and made the admin aware of the issue.

You called to let them know you were caught in traffic, so they could cover the class until you got there. Relax, you'll be fine, and you are still in their good graces.

I travel between two counties and get caught in traffic sometimes... not often...I always call and ask for the sub coordinator to let them know. They appreciate the heads up! I'm sure on those days the buses get caught in traffic, too!

Breathe! And congratulations in advance on your future job!
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

a few tell-tale signs
Old 09-27-2017, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here's a few signs to let you know that you should be paranoid:
-your higher-up's put a memo to invite you to a "meeting".
-you see people that covered your class with a strange or annoyed look in their face.
-your students explicitly say how disappointed they are when you showed up late.

Did you get any or all these signs? Coz if you did...
Mikhail is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

You're fine!
Old 09-27-2017, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It happens to all of us. You can leave just so early. I missed the welcome back breakfast and meeting that the district has because of terrible traffic. I leave with an hour and a half to spare, so of it takes me more than that (usually 30 minutes) - oh well!

Your P sounds very understanding. I wouldn't worry at all.

Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

MissELA

Old 09-28-2017, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I left earlier today. Kind of ridiculous since I already leave about an hour before school anyway for a 25 minute drive, but at least I was early today. P hasn't mentioned anything and I'm sure he's long forgotten about it anyway.
MissELA is offline   Reply With Quote

sunshine97

Don't Worry!
Old 10-31-2017, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We are all human and things happen. I would not worry. Come early the next few days to make up for it.
sunshine97 is offline   Reply With Quote