>

luvtulearn

How many students. . .
Old 10-29-2017, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

do you service in small group instruction? I believe my groups are large

Kinder - 8 students. . . pull out. . .way to large for K

1st grade--group 1 . . .8 students. . . pull out
1st grade --group 2 . . . 6 students. . .pull out. . . (ELD students, speech, OT, etc)

2nd grade --RTI . . . 9 students and the other teacher has 12. . .push in
2nd/ 3rd grade . . .group 2. .. 8 students. . .pull out . . .(ELD students , speech, OT, etc) pull out

3rd . . . 8 students . , .pull out

4th. . . RTI. . . 15 students. . .push in and 5 of the 15 are mainstreamed from special day class. Other teacher has 15 students as well.

5th. . .RTI. . . push in . . . 6 students .. . . the other teacher has 20 students in her group .

Even though I don't officially work with the students in RTI that work with the other teacher I am responsible for progress monitoring and their assessments.

This doesn't include a new group for dyslexic students I will be adding and a newbie group of 3 students who have never been in school before.

I would really like to know if there are others with these large groups?

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 10-29-2017, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My first year in Title I I ended up with group sizes that large. After year one I put my foot down and started setting group caps. There are always more students who can use more support but if you don't keep groups reasonable you won't help anyone. We were targeted assistance (I teach kindergarten at a different school now) and were expected to serve the bottom 20% so that was the cap I set. For example, if a grade level had 60 students I saw up to 12 students in that grade. There was some push back from colleagues but my administration supported me and we saw remarkable growth. The guidelines I've always heard for RTI groups were up to 1-3 for Tier 3 and 1-6 Tier 2.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 10-30-2017, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My Tier 3 groups are no more than 4 students. My Tier 2 groups are no more than 5.
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 10-30-2017, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our reading teacher Tier 2 groups can't go over 5 students. We have intensive small groups in classrooms that are as large as 8 (in all grades K-5 because of the # of students with that level of need and the staff we have available).

We see students for 30 min/5 days a week so our reading teachers who teach full time have 8 groups of 4-5 & then they do Tier 3 work with Kinders on a rotation basis (both have 6 they are working with but they pull them 1-2 at a time). Their "student load" is around 40-45 students currently.

At Tier 3, I work 1:1 unless I absolutely can't manage it in my schedule. I've never worked with more than 3 in Tier 3 at one time.

Our resource/SPED teacher's pull out small groups are between 2-6 students depending on need.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

westwood

Group Size
Old 10-31-2017, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My tier 2 groups are no more than six and tier 3 is no more than 4. That way we can really give targeted instruction.

westwood is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 10-31-2017, 11:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We cap Tier 2 at 5 and Tier 3 at 3. Tier 2/3 mixed groups have the same cap as Tier 3.

I'm operating at capacity with most of my groups. I have one vacancy in two of my groups. I am 1 over capacity with one.
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote