How many weeks do you need to sub to get an emergency cert? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

How many weeks do you need to sub to get an emergency cert?

>

MissELA

How many weeks do you need to sub to get an emergency cert?
Old 10-26-2017, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm curious if there is a minimum amount of time that I need to sub in order to be granted an emergency cert. I subbed for a SPED teacher for about 3 weeks. Now I will sub for the same teacher again in December for 2 weeks giving me 5 weeks total time that I have subbed.

P likes me and liked my work with the first round of the sub job, and they talked emergency SPED cert before, but when SPED teacher came back talk of that had stopped. Then P came up to me last week and asked if I was still interested in the emergency cert. SPED teacher said they went to the P directly and asked if I could get the cert and said I'd be a good fit.

Now SPED teacher's co-teacher was out for a bit too, but will not be returning due to medical reasons. SPED teacher wants to see if I can get emergency cert to cover co-teacher's absence, but hasn't had a chance to talk to P again.

I'm very much hoping this all works out in my favor because I was planning to go back to school to get my SPED cert and if I got the emergency cert it would eliminate a lot of time and money.

MissELA is offline   Reply With Quote

Ssubb

Ssubb

Depends
Old 10-26-2017, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That depends on your state. In our state an emergency credential has a limited life, you would still have to obtain a "real" sped credential before the emergency credential expires

Lottalove

Same as PP
Old 10-26-2017, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In MO, you can apply for the Provisional Cert through the Dept. of Ed and then both you and your cooperating school need to fill out and sign.

It is good for two years(?) I think. Somewhere on there is a place for a plan to get the real certification--classes, tests, MS, etc.

In Mo, if you have an existing teaching certificate, you can add SpEd credentials with a couple tests. Unsure how that works with other states. If you have a 4yr degree in a related field, you can go straight to an MS in Sped.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

MissELA

Old 11-01-2017, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Talked to SPED teacher and SPED coordinator. They said they going to work to get me the cert. When that will be I don't know, but SPED teacher said it will be sooner rather than later. I do know that there is a need for SPED teachers in the district. SPED coordinator had only 1 applicant as of yesterday for a contracted position. I'm hoping this all works out for me and could lead to a job next school year.
MissELA is offline   Reply With Quote