Help

Future Teachers

I kinda hate student teaching

>

teacher122996

I kinda hate student teaching
Old 10-29-2017, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please- I need motivation to get through this year. I am currently in a 5th grade class and in the spring, I will be switching to lower elementary. I love my students and my mentor teacher but it is so hard being in someone else's classroom. Did/does anyone else feel this way? I did not expect to dislike it as much as I do. I love teaching- I just think I don't like being constantly observed and told what to do all the time.

teacher122996 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Old 10-29-2017, 11:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds like your mentor teacher is being overly solicitous or concerned about what you do in her classroom. She probably should just relax a bit and let you practice teaching without her hovering over you so much. If you find her to be too stifling, perhaps you may want to consider talking to her about this. Ask if she wouldn't mind stepping back and letting you teach the class without her intervention. Afterwards, you could tell her how you felt the lesson went and ask her about specific aspects of the lesson that you would like her to comment on (suggestions for improvement, etc.). Let her know that you appreciate her feedback, but that you would also like to be able to practice teaching without being judged on everything you do.

When you switch to lower elementary, discuss your expectations with the new mentor teacher regarding what you would like her to do. For example: share the process she uses in lesson planning (this is different for math vs. language arts), how she assesses student comprehension, provide feedback to you when you present a lesson, etc. Make sure that the mentor teacher is highly recommended and not just someone who wanted a trainee to help make the year go by faster. Hopefully, you'll enjoy your second student teaching assignment much more!
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

ILoveLeos87

Future Decisions
Old 11-01-2017, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi there!
My advice is to keep in mind what you do and don't like for the future...student teaching is going to FLY by! I am in my second year of teaching and am in a district that is so high achieving that the admin, along with my mentor teacher, is constantly popping in or prepping me for formal observation (admin) or informal observation (mentor), and this continues next year as well. Also, coaches are always coming in to observe (new and veteran teachers) as well as outside consultants that the district uses from Pearson to WTW to Bridges Math to Kagan. Everyone is constantly in my face or my room. I will definitely be changing districts next year because I am so anxious about who will pop in at any moment that it's taking away from what they are trying to achieve (definitely not the only reason, but one)! So, power through - it goes by fast in hindsight - but keep your "likes" and "dislikes" in mind for a job in the future. They will interview you...but you're also interviewing them! Also, you are a guest in another teacher's classroom and while you develop your own style, keep in mind that you do have to play along to a certain extent. I kept a list of things I LOVED that my cooperating teacher did and things I wasn't a fan of...that helped too. Hope my rambling helps!
ILoveLeos87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-01-2017, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My CT in student teaching was awesome and not overly critical at all, but I still didn't like feeling like I was being constantly watched/evaluated every second of every day! In my program, the CT's weren't allowed to leave the classroom even when we were teaching because we weren't certified yet. My university supervisor also came in and did a formal eval once per week. It was exhausting! My university also made us do a ton of busywork and crazy detailed plans during our ST year, so I was absolutely swamped with work. Being on my own my first year felt so good and freeing, and because I didn't have to do all of the BS for my university program, I actually worked significantly LESS my first "real" year than I did in my ST year. The good thing is, I was extremely prepared and didn't seem to have the crazy/stressful first year teaching that everyone else talks about.

My advice is that even if you're feeling like you don't like it, put on a happy face, don't complain, and don't let anyone know that you're feeling that way. No matter how valid your feelings may be, it will be construed as you being negative or worse, "not being ready" to take on the pressures of being a ST. Yes, it will be nice to have your own space next year, but use this time to learn from your mentor teacher so you can be better prepared to be on your own.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 11-13-2017, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Isn't the point that you are a newbie, and she is an experienced teacher showing you the ropes?

cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote