Help

BusyBoard

how to use fidgets

>

EMO109

how to use fidgets
Old 10-30-2017, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have several students who have brought different fidgets to "use." Most of the students with them do have ADHD or sensory issues, so they might benefit from the fidgets, but at the moment, most kids are just using them as toys.

I'd like to do a lesson about using them correctly - I've found some rules and contracts online that look good, but I'd also like a kid-friendly resource (a video, story, demonstration, etc.) to help explain what they're used for and why. Any suggestions?

EMO109 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-30-2017, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My team mate and I were just talking about this. Neither one of us has ever found them to be effective. I would just talk to the kids and create an anchor chart with the expectations and consequences.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 10-30-2017, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I personally think most fidgets are toys. Students don't seem to concentrate any better when they have them; they just play. I have tried to show students less obtrusive ways to fidget--wiggle your toes, tap your foot lightly, that sort of thing. Velcro on a desk might work better. I do ask students to hold fidgets below their desk where it cannot be seen, but I really can't tell that it helps them focus.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 10-31-2017, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have 2 students who use fidgets. I talked to them privately and showed them the fidgets and then explained the rules. Then, I talked about it in front of the whole class so that they wouldn't be tempted to play. It tremendously helped one of my students who was constantly talking. He just quietly plays with the fidget. It's just a plastic tube with a marble in the middle and he can roll it back and forth. If he tosses it or gives it to another student, i take it for the rest of the day. It has worked really well for him. The other student is distracted by this fidget so I have to try something else or model with him more.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

fidgets
Old 11-02-2017, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Unless it was written in their IEP or 504 as an accommodation, I don't want to see fidgets in school. In most cases, they are just toys.

readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote