Retired Teachers

In Australia

>

connieretire

connieretire

In Australia
Old 10-30-2017, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We ended our lovely 22 day cruise over the equator and International Date line. So many lovely things and lots of comments when I get back home.

We are now in Sydney and this is the NICEST city I've ever visited. Beautiful, interesting, clean, lots of character. We did one of those HOHO buses the first day and saw a lot. Yesterday we went to the Blue Mountains that are like a shorter Rocky Mountains and we rode on cable cars and the world's steepest inclined railway. We also went to Featherdale park to visit the animals. I fed a joey but the little bugger held onto my hand with his claws. Ouch!

One more glorious day here and then off to New Zealand on Wednesday to visit Middle Earth (Hobbiton where the Hobbit series was filmed).

I am going to write an extensive review with costs. I'm the queen of budget travel. Most of the cruise passengers stayed near Circular Quay ($300+ a night). We selected Potts Point which is a $13 taxi ride ($9US). OUr hotel is $111 and just fine.

We leave Auckland at 2PM on Saturday and arrive in Ohio 5PM on Saturday. We get that day back! The International Date Line takes a while to get used to. I am a day ahead of you. It is Tuesday morning at 6:30 AM as I am posting. I'll write on my website so you can see the lovely photos.

travelingfar

Trip
Old 10-30-2017, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds like a wonderful trip. I'm looking forward to reading more about it. How do I find your website?

We have friends that recently moved to Australia and are hoping to visit them in the next year or two.

Last edited by travelingfar; 10-30-2017 at 01:51 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

jmb

Old 10-30-2017, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love the that you leave at 2pm and arrive in Ohio at 5pm. Fast travel!! Enjoy what's left of your wonderful trip.
jmb is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-30-2017, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It sounds like an amazing trip!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

You are not on vacation
Old 10-30-2017, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You are on an adventure. So glad you are having a wonderful time. You are going to need a couple of weeks of sleep and rest when you get back home and then we want details. Seriously, can't wait to hear all about your journey.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Old 10-30-2017, 10:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

1956 is kind...she wants you to get your rest before we bombard you!! But I bow to her wisdom (she's kinder!!). Share when you can! And if you are the Queen of Economical Travel I WILL be taking notes!!!!!!
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote

teach61

Hobbit Land
Old 10-31-2017, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am so jealous! Looking forward to details!!
teach61 is offline   Reply With Quote
connieretire

connieretire

Old 11-01-2017, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, I think I truly am the Queen of Budget Travel. I got the 22 day cruise from Seattle to Sydney for $1464. Right now I am in Auckland getting ready for my great adventure to Hobbiton. We are staying in a very comfortable apartment hotel with a kitchen, washer, dryer, etc.

We may have crummy weather tomorrow, but all days can't be sunshine! The Blue Mountains in Australia were fabulous. We also stopped at Featherdale Park where we saw all the animals of Australia. I hand fed a joey who clutched my hand with his claws. Ow...

BTW- you can pay for almost anything by credit card in Australia and New Zealand.

Off to a Hobbit hole!

teachwonder

Old 11-01-2017, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One word - jealous!! I am jealous!
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
connieretire

connieretire

Old 11-02-2017, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We went on an adventure yesterday to Hobbiton, the movie set for the Hobbit series. That was an amazing day. New Zealand can be rather rainy this time of year but it was fine on our day. That place is just magical and the 2 hour trip to get there was so bucolic with dairy and sheep farms in the rolling hills. It is rainy today, so we will spend our last day at the Auckland Museum to learn about the Mauri culture. Back home tomorrow.