Third Grade

Comprehension

>

Elmsprings

Comprehension
Old 11-01-2017, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Advice Needed::
I have a student who fluently reads above grade level, reads with great expression and can discuss the text afterwards---but still preforms mediocre on tests. There is something going on with her comprehension, even though she can "retell" important parts. I have tried all of the test- taking strategies like eleminating answers, self checking, etc. I don't know what to do. What would YOU do to help her? She has such great potential, and enjoys reading...but sometimes seems clueless (for lack of a better word).

Elmsprings is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Have you taught her
Old 11-02-2017, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

how to identify the different types of questions? Maybe putting questions into categories will help her identify what they are really asking her so she can focus on the right aspect of the story.

summary
details
sequencing
inferring
prediction
characterzation...

Also just understanding that questions come in two major categories. There are the ones where you can look back in the text and find the answer. Then there are the ones where you will not find the answer in the text. You have to think about the whole story and or character and decide what you think is the best answer based on what you read.

Last edited by 1956BD; 11-02-2017 at 03:05 PM..
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote