Help

Special Education

UGH!!! ULS issues

>

spedder1

UGH!!! ULS issues
Old 11-01-2017, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had to punt on Monday and again today as ULS was down. They were supposed to be back up and running at 10:30 this morning. Nope. It is 9:00 at night. I refuse to stress myself more if I look at it and see it is still down. I have to do October end of month testing, pretest for November, and finish up Benchmark testing the teacher never bothered to do. Maybe if wouldn't have spent part of his day sleeping on duty, he could have gotten stuff done.

Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 11-01-2017, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's like you never retired
WalkDontRun is online now   Reply With Quote
housework

housework

Old 11-02-2017, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was wondering if it was just my computer yesterday that had issues with ULS. I prefer it being all the way down to it getting frozen mid test for my students. They are just not the kind of kids who you have a large window of opportunity with to do the tests. I do the benchmarks and pre and post tests but but all in all I think they tend to show more background knowledge and ability to follow direction than actual learning. Just like any other curriculum I end up having to modify a lot, which is kind of annoying considering the cost and that it is supposed to be for moderate-severe students.

Ucan

Common Sense (forget about punting)
Old 11-02-2017, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

While your dedication to the job is admirable, I'm reminded that too many teachers devote too much of their lives to their work. Common sense dictates that workplace problems related to malfunctioning equipment, inadequate supplies, inadequate procedures, etc. are the responsibility of management (a term rarely used in schools). Where is it written or who told you that you must stay at work until bedtime just because the network was down? Even if months of data entry is not possible due to system-wide issues and someone else's negligence, why is it now up to you to sacrifice your personal time to correct the problem? These are problems that must be left to school administrators to resolve - not repeatedly placed on the overburdened shoulders of dedicated teachers.

You are on the right track in refusing to stress yourself any more in your attempt to catch up to unreasonable, overdue timelines. I bet your principal did not keep you company until 9:00 at night. He/she knows when to leave and how to enjoy/preserve his/her personal life. Take off your football uniform and go home at 3:30!
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

dedication to job
Old 11-02-2017, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The problem was on ULS's end. It's been resolved. It was running slowly today, but I managed to get one more student evaluated this afternoon. I am hoping to get the last 3 done tomorrow.
My hours are 7:40-2:20. I generally get to work shortly after 7:00, but that's not due to dedication. That's to get a parking space. Due to construction, the parent dropoff line goes through the staff parking lot, which is small to begin with. There are actually parents in line at that time. Any later and it's an obstacle course or I would get caught on the street at the end of the line. I generally do leave at 2:20, but have spent an extra hour there, especially when I first started last month.

The reason for getting all the data in is to make it easier for a new teacher to come in and teach. Otherwise that new teacher would be stuck doing testing and not teaching. The students are making super progress and I want them to be able to keep up on those skills after I leave. I am super dedicated to this "mission" because most people think the children with moderate to severe disabilities are too low and can't learn. I know they can learn and do learn. I want them to be consistent on skills so the new teacher will be enthusiastic and excited to keep them moving forward.
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Now I Get It
Old 11-02-2017, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for taking the time to clarify your situation. The brevity of your original post left too much room for speculation. The new teacher and her students are fortunate to have someone like you helping!
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote