Help

The VENT

1-to-1

>

Surly

1-to-1
Old 11-02-2017, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As we all know, over the past few years, many districts are have gone one-to-one, touting revolutionary learning outcomes, and funneling millions of taxpayer dillars to multinational technology companies in the process.

These one-to-one environments may be generate good PR for districts. However, as a high school classroom teacher who actually has actually dealt with this in the real world for the past few years, I can conclusively say that giving these kids unlocked gadgets and telling them to use them all of the time has done more harm than good. Just as I expected woule be the case years ago, the average kid is just distracted by them, and it's a continual battle to get kids to do what they're supposed to be doing.
To make matters worse, districts have invested so much money in the devices, so they feel the need to stick with this initiative that doesn't work.

Anybody who actually worked with kids should have known that the vast majority of kids would just be zoning out and watching Netflix (with a VPN, even though it's officially blocked) all day instead of focusing on class. Teachers can't be expected to teach and police device usage. It's an either-or thing. I can either teach kids who care about their grades, OR I can police device usage. I can't do both at the same time.

Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

I agree.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

On a variety of fronts. Our fourth and fifth graders just got Chrome books. There are several who have already lost the privilege of using them. Looking up inappropriate pictures and weapons. I have seen them flipping between what they are supposed to be doing and Minecraft.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 11-02-2017, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Our fourth and fifth graders just got Chrome books. There are several who have already lost the privilege of using them. Looking up inappropriate pictures and weapons. I have seen them flipping between what they are supposed to be doing and Minecraft.
My district just got Google Orchestrator, I think it's called? Essentially, whenever the kids are logged in to their district e-mail, I can see everything on their screen from MY computer. I can even display the class on the Smart Board (which I frequently do), so that everyone can see what page people are on. Really cuts down on the "accidental" Youtube searches.

Last edited by Izzy23; 11-02-2017 at 06:06 PM..
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 11-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I quit subbing at one middle school that had a 1 to 1 iPad program. The administrator who was in charge of this left for a big increase in pay to set up similar programs in other districts. Substitutes weren't given any training at all on the iPad or Google classroom yet we are expected to supervise students using these in class. I got tired of having a picture taken or video made without my permission. Who knows where they have ended up and what was done to them.

Over the summer I interviewed in a "technology rich" district. I didn't get the job but it appears (from their website) that they are getting great mileage out of all their teachers having twitter accounts and tweeting out pics of the learning taking place. This same district spent a great deal of money on a "maker space" where students go to make things out of junk like a non-functioning robot made of cardboard.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-02-2017, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I enable Guided Access on my iPads; the kids can't navigate away from the app I chose without knowing the password. And I don't tell them the password.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 11-03-2017, 01:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Aside from the issue of students visiting web sites they're not supposed to visit, there's the whole issue of operating the iPads. Elementary students clearly know how to work the iPads better than I do. BUT they don't have as much motor control or reasoning, and so they poke buttons and suddenly realize they've wiped out their work or entered the wrong answer or have gone to another site or program they didn't mean to access. What was supposed to be, say, making a presentation or answering an online quiz then becomes a lesson in how to work the technology. It adds a whole other layer of complication and distracts from the intended purpose.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Hawkeyegirl1

1:1 ipads and keyboarding skills
Old 11-03-2017, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Not to mention that being on an ipad for most of the day does not help with keyboarding skills. Then the kids get to the high stakes test and can't show what they know because the time is spent hunting and pecking.
Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote