Kindergarten

Classroom volunteers

>

Luv2tchkdz

Classroom volunteers
Old 11-02-2017, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I'm thinking about having parent volunteers this year in the room. This is my 3rd year teaching kinder and I feel more secure about having someone else witness the ups and downs of managing my little guys. I'm not sure how to manage it. I'm thinking I would love for someone to just walk around and monitor the centers during small group times but I want them to feel useful. I also can always use help to prep for and help out on special project days. Should I send out a letter or just approach certain parents? If you use volunteers what do you do?

Luv2tchkdz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-02-2017, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My classroom could not function without my parent volunteers! The ones that can commit to a weekly "shift" sign up at back to school night.

I usually have one volunteer each morning that runs a small group during center time. And this year I'm lucky enough to have two each morning, so we have two guided centers, two independent, and I pull 2-4 kids at a time for literacy activities. I just have the directions for the center typed out (very explicitly) and everything ready for them to go. The best is when I have former teachers as helpers - then I can really let them teach rather than manage!

I also have a work basket that always has prep work for any parents that come before center time or that pop in and ask if I need help. I have a notebook with all directions of what needs done and all the materials needed to do it in the basket. I never have to do cutting, stapling, etc - it's always done by my parents. I train them on their first day to come in the classroom and check the basket.

We also have volunteers for field trips and special events, but those I manage separately.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2tchkdz

Old 11-03-2017, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi, sounds like you have a great experience, I have one teacher on my team who hates parents in the room and one who loves it. The "hater" says that they get in the way and prefers to do things herself. She thinks I should "farm out" prep and copying but not have them stay inside.

It sounds like I should send home a note seeking volunteers to sign up for weekly commitments so I know when to expect help and set up maybe one station that could run independently but run better with a parent helper? Unfortunately, I'm usually only 2 -3 days planned ahead of myself. I'm still working on that. I keep changing things and make more work for myself. (SMH) I think I'll give it a go this year and see how it goes. Thank!
Luv2tchkdz is offline   Reply With Quote