Help

Retired Teachers

Question of the week

>

1959mm

Question of the week
Old 11-03-2017, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

> Happy Birthday everyone! Now that you are retired, how do you celebrate your birthday? What was your favorite celebration growing up?

1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 11-03-2017, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Thank you very much for the birthday wishes! Yesterday was my birthday. It was very low key. Spent the day waiting to hear from my DD about the swelling/rash our GS is experiencing. Usually, however, it is dinner at my favorite restaurant with family.
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 11-03-2017, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I try not to think about the age that goes with each birthday now! Birthdays now are usually just dinner out with the family. My birthday also means the start of school, so grands are getting ready for that. Growing up, I always wished my birthday was any other month, since mostly my gifts included new school clothes, and that was not fun! My favorite birthdays were when I could choose a place I wanted to go, and that is what we would do. It did make me feel special.
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-03-2017, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My birthday is in April and I love starting a new age with fresh Spring. My mom called me her Easter baby.

When I was a kid, birthday parties were in our back yard (hoping for no April showers) and lots of fun. As a tween/teen, parties were sleepovers—I really loved those and still remember my friends showing up with sleeping bags. We don’t do much for adult birthdays in our family—maybe dinner out and a gift.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Birthdays are special
Old 11-03-2017, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I might go get a massage during the day. Then we always go to a nice restaurant for dinner.

When we were first married we always went to a nicer B & B for each of our birthdays. It was so enjoyable! But then most B & B's started requiring you stay at least two nights and there prices were creeping up as well. So, we stopped due to the cost. It was a good run while it lasted.

My favorite childhood party was when I turned about 9. It was a Hawaiian Luau. We all dressed up. My mom bought fabric with royal blue Hibiscus flowers to make my dress. She decorated tables at floor level with leaves and fruits. We drank out of hollowed out coconuts and ate coconut cake. We danced to Hawaiian music and wore flower leis. My mom really went overboard making it a special day. All the girls at the party had a blast! Oh and we played Limbo too! So much fun!

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-03-2017, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

These days, birthdays are very low key...although one year my kids bought dh and me tickets to a Jimmy Cliff concert. Wow, that man is high energy (especially for an old guy!). (Note: I am referring to Jimmy Cliff, not dh...)

My siblings and I all had birthdays in the summer, most of us in July. So we had group parties. Usually the guest list was one other family who had 5 kids around our ages...Easy to manage for Mom, I guess!

I usually made the birthday cake. One year I remember making a butterfly cake (cut the round layers into semicircle halves and turn around so the curved sides touched...then pipe the outline of the wings on the iced cake.). Not sure what I used for the body of the butterfly, but I seem to remember licorice whip antennae. I had a lot of fun decorating the cake every year.

On our individual birthdays we could invite a friend for dinner, request our favorite meal, and there was cake, of course, and family gifts after dinner. My sister’s birthday was two days before mine, but with 7 family members, we never had leftover cake.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Birthdays
Old 11-03-2017, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My childhood birthdays were always family affairs - dinner (birthday girl's/boy's choice) with cake.

There are 6 children in my family, so a crowd with which to celebrate was never a problem. We would also invite some close family friends.

I would say that our family's birthday celebrations were low-key, and my husband and I have continued that.

For the most part, as long as I don't have to cook on my birthday, I'm a happy camper! I must confess, though, that my husband desperately needs lessons on gift giving! He rarely thinks far enough ahead to get a clue what I would like, and when one lives in such a rural area as we, thinking ahead is a must for most things must be ordered or purchased while out of town.

I've always considered our decade birthdays special milestones (30, 40, 50, 60, etc.), and the gift has reflected it. However, I've begun to give my daughters my wishes, which, they in turn, discuss with their father! A roundabout way of dealing with it, but it mostly works. But again --- if he doesn't plan ahead then the gift isn't there on my birthday! Ah well, there are worse things in life!
Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Birthdays
Old 11-03-2017, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We've been meeting up with DD#1 and her family for dinner. One year grandson picked Texas Roadhouse because he wanted Grammie to ride the saddle. Had to go side saddle . This year it was the Japanese Yuki's. Love their tempura vegetables.

My 1st principal still sends me a birthday card. She must be close to 100 now.

We lived far away from grandparents and extended family but my grandparents, great aunt and uncle, and aunt would send me money for my birthday. I usually saved it so I could go to Girl Scout camp in the summer. In college I used my great aunts money to buy a small Bible with a real leather cover and had my name stamped in gold. She passed away a few weeks after my birthday. Still treasure that Bible, but can't read the print.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 11-03-2017, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I remember having slumber parties for my birthday when I was in grade school. We had so much fun sleeping in the basement and giggling a lot.
Now we got out to eat or have a family cookout. My parents are usually up north, so no one to pamper me.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote