Help

BusyBoard

Attention span

>

Notsurewhatto

Attention span
Old 11-04-2017, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've recently attended a conference where we heart again how students' attention span is minus to plus one for their age. The speaker emphasized that even up to high school that this was true. What do you think? I feel like as a society we are training ourselves to not think deeply nor do we expect to attend to anything with depth or length of time. I do believe that students need variety, movement, and change of pace throughout the day but am I really shooting for 18 year olds to maybe attend for 20 min.? Just wondering.

Notsurewhatto is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-04-2017, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Unfortunately I believe the attention span measurement tactic is correct. Many neuroscientists have written and researched the issue and the affect of the computer age on the human brain. It boggles my mind why so many adults park children in front of technology for hours day after day.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Attention span?
Old 11-04-2017, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I learned in late 1990s, the average adult can only actively listen for about 15 minutes of straight talking before having problems with not zoning out.

So yeah. It's nothing new. It's real work to keep an audience engaged.

People like use tech as a whipping boy, but those tech issues weren't around in 1980-late 1990.

I think people have always zoned out.. People were too polite to call others on it, or too embarrassed they did it to fess up.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote