Help

The VENT

The weirdness continues. . .

>

SighNoMore

The weirdness continues. . .
Old 11-01-2017, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In the last few days teachers at my school have been informed that we must fill in grades for students who have been sent to our alternative school. The student in question has been gone for about 6 weeks. We are just now being harrassed by our registrar. The first grading period has already ended, so assignments for that period were not received for this student.

Apparently, someone, in our building or at central admin made the decision NOT to withdraw students who leave our school and attend the alternative school.

The alternative school has teachers who are presumably giving assignments in line with our (very expensive) curriculum documents.

Our teachers have been told by the registrar at our school that we should "reach out" to the alternative school teachers for grades for the assignments they have been giving the students while they are away from our campus.

Teachers at our campus do not have power over teachers at the alternative campus to require anything of each other. The registrar doesn't seem to understand this. Neither our building principal or the building principal of the alternative school have brought any leadership to this situation.

The registrar sent us a tutorial on the program she and the teachers use for grades. In it, teachers are shown how to look up grades for students. (We actually already know this. The tutorial shows how to look up the assignments entered at OUR school for OUR students. It doesn't allow the assignments given by teachers at the Alternative school to be shown.)

The whole situation is a complete cluster ____.

I just sit back and SMH. I work for idiots.

SighNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

insane
Old 11-02-2017, 02:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Das nutz. You would think that the reason a kid goes for alternative education is for the usual. And you would be right to think that it's their teachers who would award them their grade and enter them in the system. In my district, it is what you'd expect.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

fredlish

Crazy
Old 11-02-2017, 02:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That makes zero sense. I'm not sure that's even legal.
fredlish is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

teaching is not an office job
Old 11-02-2017, 02:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So you are supposed to call over to the alternative school and get the grades for the student? Why don't they just have the teacher over there e-mail the grades to you? It seems like an extra step to have the individual teachers of each student at your school contact the individual teachers of the alternative school. Or geez, admin can give them the student id number so they can get in there and post the dang grades.

I don't think office people or admin have a clue how much teachers do and how little time they have for all the other things that come up. Teaching isn't a dadblasted office job. (Feel free to change the soft swear words into something with a bit more kowpow.)
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Very Strange
Old 11-02-2017, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As a recently retired alternative school teacher--I would be angry about this situation. Basically, by having teachers who don't even see the students, responsible for their grades, the administrators are disrespecting the credentials, work, knowledge, and existence of the alternative school staff.

I assume that in order for a teacher at your campus to see the alternative school assignments/grades, etc. that teacher would need to be given access rights in the system for the alternative school. Clearly that has not been done. (I'm not saying it should be done. Totally different issue. See above.)

Somebody needs to resolve the issue and in the immortal words of one of my previous bosses "that's above my pay grade."

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

catandturtle

Old 11-03-2017, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was annoyed when I had to send over work every week for my alternative school kids. They have a licensed teacher over there, why don't they assign the work?
catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

No, just no. No time, no clue, have them send me the grades. I'm at the point where there are just things I can't do. Hopefully, soon I will get to the point where I will stop telling people what I don't do. That would really be to my benefit.
Just don't do it. (like Nike but not)
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

sounds like
Old 11-04-2017, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

a few of you who are in this position need to visit with the principal of your school (or you if you are the only one) and ask for clarification of how you can assign grades for students you have not taught. Ask if the two principals (yours and the alternative school's) can work out a system for entering grades properly.

My district has a policy about the number of days a child was in attendance with a teacher for that teacher to provide grades for that child. You might check on such a policy in your district before the meeting.

Carrying children you do not see on your class roll as well as the school's can likely expose you and the principal to a variety of liabilities as well as it would seem you are responsible for the child's wellbeing and behaviors during school hours.

Last edited by broomrider; 11-04-2017 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: added info
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote