Masters in Education or ATCP?

>

Amber C

Amber C

Masters in Education or ATCP?
Old 11-04-2017, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Howdy all,

I graduated from Texas A&M in Nutrition. I am wanting to be a 3rd or 4th grade teacher in Houston and then shortly after in Colorado. I don't know what path would better benefit me as far as pay and transferring over as a teacher in CO. Do you have any advice as far as what path would be most beneficial?

Amber

cattleya

Since You have never...
Old 11-13-2017, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The thing is: A Masters is often only a few credit hours more than the Alt Certification. In my college (Wayland Baptist in Texas) I got the Master's and actually the difference between a "Master's" and a "Master's with Alt Certification" was 2 classes as a Student Teacher vs. a capstone writing project (mini-thesis), and the tests you must take in order to get your certification. I do not know about Texas per-say but many school systems "mandate" that you must have a Master's degree within a certain amount of years, or in order to move up the pay scale. Starting out with one does not lead to more money right off the bat, usually, but if you are so close to the credit hours of your program, then you may as well do it anyway. The Masters is about 36 credit hours, Master's plus alt cert was the same, and if you just get the certificate, it runs about 27, but I am sure does not teach you as much, or give you that nice lucrative diploma to hang on your wall.

Also

If all goes sour, and you decide you do not like teaching, you still have a Masters to trade with-- and that actually goes a long way in the job market.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote