Help

The VENT

Inevitable pain

>

PollyCarp

Inevitable pain
Old 10-31-2017, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Had to break it to a parent and child tonight just how far behind the child is.

On the surface, everything went well: parent was receptive and respectful, child is held accountable within reason, both parent and I affirmed the child's worth and potential while still being honest and fair about how she's doing.

But I had to watch this: One of my happiest, most spirited students bounce in as though the world was her oyster. As we talked, she drew beautiful silly pictures, laughing to herself the whole time and showing us her work proudly. But as we delved deeper into her struggles the smile slipped from her face, she began to cry, and she crumpled her proud pictures into a tiny ball, which she left behind. And her mother left with tears in her eyes.

I know it is my job to be honest, and I know it's in her best interests. I know that before this conversation and even more after, the parents, school and I will partner to provide the best interventions we can.

But that meeting SUCKED.

PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

That sounds horrible
Old 10-31-2017, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think I would have phrased things like, this is the standard and she hasn't reached it yet, but this is what she's doing. Then I would show samples of her sept work and current work and show how much growth she had for that standard since Sept. I would have spent time showing the growth in her sample and praised those.

If there hasn't been any growth since Sept. in anything, it seems like an RTI or SST (whatever you call it) meeting would have been a better place to delve into her shortcomings.

I'm glad you posted this because a classroom teacher of one of my intervention students wants me to come to the parent conference. Now I am going to make sure the student isn't there for the meeting. I wouldn't want her to hear my analysis of her shortcomings. I'll tell mom though because they will come with recommendations for mom to do to help the child.

Have you ever heard of the Growth Model? Some kids with disabilities or other issues really are better off being evaluated using a growth model.
TheTrunch is online now   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

Old 11-01-2017, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks, Trunch. I'm meeting with the principal today about several students and can see what she thinks about an SST meeting (she already receives Tier II support for reading).

It is the policy at our school for children to be present at conferences; in fact the push is for student-led conferences. This experience has taught me that sometimes I might need to buck the system and ask for forgiveness later.

I have not heard of the Growth Model, although the term sounds familiar. Do you have a website link for an introductory peek?

Mrs. S.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know I'm late to respond to this but when I have a conference that I don't want the child to hear, I send them to the computers with headphones. Could you do that? Its so sad that her little spirit was crushed. (not your fault but just breaks my heart) I've nearly cried during intervention meetings when we have to tell the parent some hard truths.
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

Old 11-04-2017, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Another excellent idea. Thanks.