Help

Third Grade

standards based grading

>

twinangels

standards based grading
Old 11-04-2017, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our county moved to standards based grading 4 years ago in kindergarten, and they've added a grade each year. This year, 3rd grade is required to do standards based grading. We are all struggling with this because we have required common assessments that must be given each nine weeks. You can't use any other data collected for assignments or quizzes on the report card. Only the county assessment can be used. I'm trying to find a balance on how to find time to teach and find where my kids are on the standards through class assignments and quizzes before I give the county assessments, but it's been extremely difficult to find enough time. I don't like teaching skills in isolation, but I'm being forced to do just that in order to hit the skills that are on the required assessments.

Is there anyone else that has a similar requirement that can give some advice? I feel like all I'm doing is testing my kids or skill drilling them, and we are all becoming test weary. Any advice on how to incorporate more interactive lessons ? I've been teaching 22 years, and the paperwork and testing this year is about to drive me, and many other teachers, completely batty!

twinangels is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-04-2017, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

So, if Iím understanding correctly you only have one grade on the report card? Thatís insane. The whole point of standards based grading is to show growth and to show growth you need to have multiple grades. One grade on one assessment isnít truly reflective of any learning thatís taken place over the course of the grading period.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

twinangels

Old 11-05-2017, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, we only have one score for each standard. If a child doesnít score a 3 (shows mastery), we are supposed to reteach the skill, then give the same assessment. I donít agree with that process, either, because itís teaching skills in isolation, but that is what we are required to do. I feel like my ability to assess my students as I see fit has been stripped away. Just trying to find a way to do whatís best for my students.

choppie70

Old 11-05-2017, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have done standards based grading for about 15 years now, but we give the students multiple chances to show mastery. We also let them "retake" and can change the grade with a note if students make progress after the assessment.

We are also required to have 3 pieces of evidence per standard for the report card.

Are you required to give the assessments at a certain time? The only thing I can think of is teaching the skills on the assessments as "units" then having students take the assessment after they have shown mastery in the classroom.

Other than that, it seems really odd that they are using one assessment to show mastery of a standard I am constantly telling parents that assessments are just one point of data, taken from one point in time, and more data is needed to really understand what the student knows.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinangels

Old 11-05-2017, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Choppie, I think I would have an easier time accepting all of this if we could be treated like the trained professionals that we are, and be allowed to create our own way to assess and make our own decisions on how a child is doing, just like we did with traditional grading. Unfortunately, this is the way it is for now. Where do you teach? Iím in TN. However, this is only being required in our county.