Help

BusyBoard

Possible New Job?

>

NerdTeach

Possible New Job?
Old 11-03-2017, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been thinking for a couple of months now about possibly changing careers. This will be my fifth year as a classroom teacher, and I just feel so burned out. I love teaching, and I believe I am skilled at it; I just don't know if I really feel passionate about it anymore.

I currently work at a private Christian school. The students are wonderful, and the parents are supportive. I have small class sizes, and I have autonomy over how I teach and manage my classroom. I feel like I am living the dream as far as teaching jobs go. And I still feel restless. I am wondering if it is because of the financial insecurity that teaching at this school gives. I only make $20K a year, and I have to work one part time job and tutor on the side. This is mainly because of student loans (which will be paid off in May) and healthcare costs (because my school does not offer any benefits at all).

A job posted at the local University for a clerk typist...basically I would be doing a lot of clerical work and editing/creating documents. The job pays almost $30K a year, and would offer health benefits, possibly education benefits for my kids, and would only be about an extra five minutes on my commute.

And a woman who has been an educator for ~20 years came through my checkout yesterday. We were chatting and she said to strongly consider other career opportunities because of the way education is really going downhill. Maybe this was a sign?

I just wanted to bounce the idea off of other educators so I could really think this out. Thanks in advance! (I also posted this on the Job Search board, but wanted to make sure it got more traffic, so I posted it here as well.)

NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Job
Old 11-03-2017, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you can handle clerical work on a daily basis, I would go for it. Better pay and benefits. I believe teaching hasn't hit bottom yet, what with Betsey Devoss in the White House......

Clerical work can be a bit of a grind, BUT, at quitting time, you done. Nothing to bring home, mentally or physically.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

You are SOOO underpaid
Old 11-03-2017, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know where you live or what your family situation is, but your current pay of $20,000 and no benefits is disgraceful. Your private Christian school is taking advantage of you. Basically you are making a $20,000 per year (or more) contribution to the school. That's fine if you want to do it, but maybe you don't.

Do you like clerical work and editing/creating documents? Is there any sort of career path for a clerk typist at the university? There may very well be one in which it is possible to advance in support positions at the university.

If you change jobs, you may want to consider how you will be able to continue doing some of the things that you enjoy about teaching. Perhaps you might want to continue with some tutoring or lead a scout group or teach Sunday School.

Big decision, but worth exploring. And, of course, just because the job is posted doesn't guarantee that you would be hired. Here's hoping that you end up exactly where you belong.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

binkbonk

Old 11-04-2017, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Take the job and don't look back.
binkbonk is offline   Reply With Quote

bookbadger

Try it
Old 11-04-2017, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Go for it.

If you miss teaching, volunteer to teach Sunday school at your church.

At the end of the day you probably won't be emotionally drained from your clerical job so you'd have energy to pursue a hobby to fulfill your creative side.

Good luck.

bookbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

lovelife07

Old 11-05-2017, 02:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'd take it in a heartbeat!! I'm so close to retirement that I'm stuck. I only wish I had that opportunity.
lovelife07 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

I'd take it
Old 11-05-2017, 03:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

-Job security
-Insurance benefits
-Possible tuition breaks
-No "homework"
-Being in a vibrant atmosphere
-Time to figure out life while making a living
-Maybe save a little $

And...
You can choose to keep tutoring
OR
One of the clericals in the ed dept actually taught a class at the college I went to! She was well qualified, but her family situation did not allow for the demands of FT teaching.

Our paras make more than $20,000 a year!
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-05-2017, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I can't fathom how you are living on $20,000 per year with no health benefits! I assume you are married and your spouse makes quite bit more.

Would you still be following a typical school schedule/get typical school breaks with the new job? If not, consider if you're willing to give up all of those weeks off. Not to mention, even though the salary is higher, if you have to work an additional 12-14 weeks, that kind of negates that.

I would also consider what your long term plan would be. Is this a job you'd be happy to stay at long term? Is the salary enough for you long term? It doesn't seem like there would be any way to "move up" in that type of position, whereas if you were to get a job in a public school theoretically you should make more as you gain more experience. I'm not sure what the public school teachers make in your area, but here it's more than twice what you're currently making.

Of course, the public school job would be far more difficult than a private Christian school. My mom worked at a private Christian school and her job was AWESOME. She always said what she didn't make in money she made in benefits (as in happiness, less stress, enjoying her job, etc.- not like health insurance benefits), which I think is true. I would have loved to do something like that, but I'm single so could never afford it.

I've thought about taking some type of office/paperwork job for the lower stress. Paperwork honestly doesn't bother me, but what holds me back is I think I'd be too bored just doing that day after day. I like the feeling of "purpose" that I get from teaching, and I'm not sure I'd feel that way in an office job. To be honest, working a "regular" schedule (no summer or long holiday breaks) is also a benefit I'm not ready to lose.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Go for it!
Old 11-05-2017, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just retired from teaching, and am now a Teller at a credit union. I love my job. 30 hrs a week, great benefits. Pay isn't great, but I am enjoying it. My anxiety has gone way down.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

I've applied!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

So fingers crossed for me!

I don't think I could move up in that type of job, but here in western PA, $30k (although on the low side of salary) is enough to make a comfortable home with some small vacations every couple of years.

The public school teachers here start at $35k, and move upward from there.

My husband doesn't make too much more than I do, which I why I have the second jobs. He makes around $25 - $30k, though, so combined, we'd be comfortable if I got this job.

I really hope I get it!

NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2017, 01:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Keep us posted!
dee is offline   Reply With Quote