Help

The VENT

Feeling incredibly dejected today after email from P

>

puzzle1mom

Feeling incredibly dejected today after email from P
Old 11-05-2017, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I got an email today (yes, Sunday) from my P today saying that some parents emailed her after report cards were emailed last week. They told her that I have not been posting grades to our online system and that I am going ahead in math before the kids fully understand the concepts. I am FURIOUS. NOT ONE SINGLE PARENT contacted me about ANY of this over the quarter! Not to mention the fact that this whole business about me not posting grades is 100% untrue! P didn't mention any names but did say that she responded that they should have gone to me first and also not waited until the end of the quarter to suddenly become concerned. The funny part is, that the ones to whom she responded this way STILL haven't contacted me!!! Then she went on to ask me what I am doing in regards to differentiation and extra support in my classroom. I stay after school once a week for students to come to me for extra help and I answer emails after hours from home. I seriously cannot believe that these people contacted her this way. Also, out of the 60-odd students I teach for math, a total of THREE received grades lower than C, and two of those parents already were aware of it.

I taught elementary school for 20 years and my former P asked me last year to teach middle school math because he knew that I had helped raise fifth grade test scores in math previously. After this email today, I feel like a complete failure. This is my first year teaching this class and I am working my tail end off. I spent my entire summer in front of my computer learning this curriculum and I spent hours doing lesson plans, including tirelessly scouring the Internet for ideas to help students.
I don't remember the last time I was so discouraged by my career.

Thank you for listening.

Last edited by puzzle1mom; 11-05-2017 at 04:58 PM..
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-05-2017, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, Iím going to say your P could have been more supportive. I truly donít think itís you. I think the parents were grade grubbingband hoping to get grades changed. It sounds like you did everything you needed to do to ensure student success. At some point the onus falls on the kids.

Please give yourself permission to let this go and move on. I know itís easier said than done, but this truly isnít you.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Eccj

Are you kidding?!
Old 11-05-2017, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You cannot wait until everyone understands perfectly or you may never move on. Only three with a grade lower than a C is fabulous out of that many students. Students earn the grades they receive. You sound like someone I would LOVE to work with.
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

bonteach

Old 11-05-2017, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You havenít done anything wrong.
I wish your principal had been more supportive... sounds like parents who are not very realistic. I simply cannot stand it when parents go to a principal first. In my mind, it negates their credibility.

Be gentle with yourself and try to let it go! Take care.
bonteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Another thought
Old 11-05-2017, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think your P is trying to be supportive, it just came across as him being judgmental. He may have asked those questions so that if parents call again he will be able to answer them and not have to bother you with their lack of consideration. don't worry about it. I think you will be fine.

MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

only 3 below c
Old 11-05-2017, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That's really impressive. You must be doing a great job. The jerks just unveiled themselves. I bet they know each other and decided to complain. That way they can say "I know other parents...." As if that matters.

He had to contact you and tell you. I agree with Macmama that he probably asked about the differentiation because he has to call them back.

I bet you are doing more differentiation than you realize.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 11-05-2017, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'd be unhappy also--but on second thought, your principal did clearly tell parents they should talk with you first. Points for the P.

Just to cover yourself in case of any future issues, can you keep a private list of the dates on which you entered grades on your system? Oh, and does your system, by any chance, allow you to see when parents log in? It's possible that some of the complainers haven't actually been checking grades regularly.

Totally agree with the PP who said that you can't wait until the whole class understands something before continuing on. You have a scope and sequence that you have to follow or you will never the required concepts during the school year. However, math is a very cumulative course, so you might consider inviting specific students to your weekly help sessions--and let their parents know about the invitations. Keep it open to all, but target a specific concept each week and publicize.

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong.

Do you have conferences coming up soon? Maybe you can make a point of mentioning in each conference that you post grades (weekly? every couple of days?) and that you have weekly help sessions.

You are far from a failure--and the P knows it.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

learnforever

You Are Amazing!
Old 11-05-2017, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Three kids with below C averages? Wow! Put this all in perspective...the B parents want A s and the A parents are quiet about it all. So...focus on the B kids (who will pull up your test scores the most)...be sure in your weekly email/paper parent communication you reiterate your after school tutoring schedule (I'd send a memo that required a parent signature) and go have a cocktail! Math is so developmental and frankly some students just don't do well in the subject ( and their parents didn't either,,,). Relax...you are rockin your subject!
learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

A Better Way
Old 11-06-2017, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

As a former principal, I believe your boss could have been supportive and non-judgmental. I would have sent you the following email:

Hi Puzzle1mom,

I received several emails from your students' parents regarding grading and extra support that is available in your classroom. I informed them that it is always expected that parents first contact teachers with any questions or concerns. Here are the names of the students in question: ___, ___, ___. Please get in touch with their parents as soon as possible to allay their concerns.

BTW, I let them know that you are a fantastic teacher who goes above and beyond on behalf of your students. Thanks for your hard work and dedication!

I don't blame you for feeling dejected. However, look on the bright side - it sounds like you haven't received such a disturbing email in 20 years - not bad!
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLady2B

More than one parent?
Old 11-06-2017, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

A few things... you have the right to know who the parents were so that you can respond to them.
Sounds to me like they were all friends, and decided to call the prince. This has happened to me.
Or, the prince was out in the community and they were talking to him. For more than one parent to call the prince about this is highly suspicious. And, if your prince is at all intelligent, he sees it the way I have described it.
I love whenthey tell on us (lol).

CatLady2B is offline   Reply With Quote
McGarrett

McGarrett

It's Never Enough
Old 11-06-2017, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This is why teaching and education in many areas is going down the tubes. Before I left my job, I was putting in 15 hours a day. I had everybody against me. Admin, the students, and the parents. You name it. I was unsupported and under appreciated. Also, my ex principal was giving me bad references, adding insult to injury. He was sadistic. It's good you have twenty years in. I will sub for about three more years, and after that I am done. By then, I will have about 20 years.I cannot imagine teaching in a k-12 setting for 30 years. There is so much more to life than this