Help

The VENT

I really don't...

>

PackFan32

I really don't...
Old 11-05-2017, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really don't want to go in to work tomorrow. Or anymore. All the changes and requirements.
Required use of strategies, required positive praise, required testing, required documentation, proof, where is the data? Are you making sure you are doing these 237 things in your class every single day?

Why aren't your kids engaged? Why aren't they reading at grade level? Aren't you encouraging them?
Why aren't you using more technology? Where is the writing? Is the writing getting better? Why not?
Are you modifying everything and moving seats? Pairing high kids with low kids?
Where is the proof? We need physical data on everything you do.
I...I just can't anymore. So so so frustrating...
Tired.
Teaching is not what it used to be.
I'm discouraged.

PackFan32 is offline   Reply With Quote

HBW41

Amen
Old 11-05-2017, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am with you 100%.
HBW41 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-05-2017, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hear you! I got a little peeved on Monday when I got the results of my domain 1 on my formal eval. All 3's because I hadn't put "strong" evidence of how I grouped my kids (I said I used our tested data) and I didn't have anything in my plans regarding IEP goals for the handful out of 30 kids that are enriched. I wrote about a page email and attached every testing data I have, in addition to the pages with student IEP goals on it. That gained me a 4 in everything. But why in the hell did I have to go through that? Really, they think I grouped kids in guided reading groups without using any data? And I am only a 4 AFTER I show I know what my gifted kids goals are? Those kids are more important that the 25 other kids in the class?

The stupidity of it all annoys me. I wasted a good chunk of time proving something I shouldn't have to do. I could have been planning or grading or prepping.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

learnforever

Bless you
Old 11-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wow in the two school years I've been retired I can't believe how difficult teaching has become for you heroes in the classrooms. Hang in there! Close the door...fake it til you make it...tune out the noise...and enjoy the kids. Teachers are truly the most under appreciated workers in America!
learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-05-2017, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A lot of money is spent on non classroom positions and these requirements you stated justify the bean counters' positions. We have plenty of bean counters where I work too.

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 11-05-2017, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One of the last years that I was teaching, I was called in by the AP and we went over my "scores." I had a few 3's that I was not happy with....but you know what I told her....go ahead....give me those 3's....I know in my heart that I do a good job and I don't need a scorecard to tell me that. Of course, our salaries were not dependent on those scores....it was just an ego thing. Some teachers were devastated if they weren't rated highly effective....bah humbug. Try not to take it too personally....just go to work tomorrow and do what is best for the kids, not for the administrators.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-05-2017, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am right there with you! We have only two weeks until Thanksgiving break and part of me feels like I'm not going to make it! I'm sitting here thinking about how I don't want to go to bed because then my weekend will be officially over...
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Close Your Eyes and Ears
Old 11-06-2017, 02:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wouldn't it be nice to "see and hear no evil"? I've been both a teacher and principal and can attest that most administrators don't have a clue how to improve their schools. It seems like all they know how to do is pile on more ___ onto their teachers every day - I call it passing the ___.

Take the advice of learnforever and try to ignore the stupidity. In today's world, doing less is better. Repeat this mantra to yourself several times a day and you'll begin to experience a bit of relief. If you don't, your days are numbered.
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Retired and subbing
Old 11-06-2017, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One reason I retired was the paperwork, the ridiculous evaluation requirements, and the horrible hours I put in to prove that my students with severe disabilities were progressing and why those that weren't progressing and what I was going to do about it. Now I sub. No lesson plans (in a long term right now and the principal hasn't asked for one yet), limited paperwork (am helping with IEPs, but the sped supervisor also works on them), and having a ball just teaching most of the time. Subbing is what teaching used to be.
Kathy
spedder1 is online now   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

I'm with ya, honey!
Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm with ya, honey!

It's report card time. That means students are asking me about extra credit (which means they want to cushion the grades on assignments they put little effort into).

The flood of parent emails has also started. Monday morning is when I see messages that have been sent to me throughout the weekend. I'm sure the messages are a result of a discussion/argument that took place between the child and parent. What can my child do to be better prepared? Well, your child ought to put time into reviewing the material outside of class. Your child ought to use his/her study hall for reviewing material and putting effort into doing the homework--as opposed to going to the media center and playing videogames or watching videos on youtube. Your child ought to come to school all five days each week--not four, not three, not two. Your child ought to do his/her own homework without the use of the internet to get answers. And you as the parent....you ought to ensure your child is doing homework at home. You ought to ask your own child (who lives with you) the questions you're writing to me in your messages. Don't you live with your child? You ought to stop texting your child during school which is a distraction. Dinner options are not crucial to be asked in text during my class. You ought to get your child out of bed at the correct time so he/she doesn't miss the bus. You ought to make sure he/she gets on the bus or find a way to get him/her to school if the bus is missed.

Oh my golly. There's so much more that's spinning around in my head but I should stop there before I need to eat a chocolate bar this early in the morning.

HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

AZteacher74

Old 11-06-2017, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yep. Add me to the list. Barely making it through the day. And for the record, I eat chocolate in the morning. It's my coffee.
AZteacher74 is offline   Reply With Quote