The VENT

observation woes

>

nyteach12

nyteach12

observation woes
Old 11-05-2017, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had my observation about a week and a half ago. I teach high school and it was scheduled for 4th period. I had exhaustively prepared and got the kids ready-it was mainly exhaustive due to excessive student absence during project-based learning. I got the students ready though so we would be at the correct place in the project for the lesson I turned in ahead of time. The class after them had even more absence and groups members in the already small class were scrambling to get things done, so i gave them an extra day since they weren't being observed. I made a note in my lesson plan about how I was still following the instruction part of the lesson for that pd, but that the work would look different because they don't have all their materials. Getting their materials to work with involves technology and it usually takes almost a whole class period. My 4th period class was great for the observation-it went great-except the observer showed up for the last ten minutes. He did see the finished project from that class. Then he (who I like as an admin) said he would stay for the next class!? I tried to say that most of the class was behind and that it would look it would look very different and he said "that is fine..."

I am mortified as someone who has gotten really good scores usually that the technology completely fell apart in that class and I basically spent most of my class fixing it so students could get their materials. Some students became idle, even though of course I had a small assignment for them to do in the interim. I have to follow a huge rubric and was able to hit all the points in my scheduled class, but I did not even really get to teach in this one and I definitely didn't hit all the points that I killed my self hitting in the other. I am losing sleep over this and will find out my scores soon. Our raises depend on this score. If I would have known that he would observe this class also I would not have given them an extra day. Would you ask for a redo? How would you handle this issue? The admin kept saying it was ok, but was it really-they were typing everything I said, but I really couldn't say much...This admin has also praised my teaching in the past, but now I am horrified.

Zia

Old 11-05-2017, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If I were to guess, it was intentional so he could see what a real instructional period looks like. Not the dog and pony show you prepped for.

I know that sounds harsh and I could be waaay off...but that's my reaction when I read your post.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 11-05-2017, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's probably like he said. Everything is fine. Wait for your scores and then if they aren't great ( which I doubt) ask for a redo.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

unfair
Old 11-06-2017, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Let's hope he goes easy on you because he exercised poor time management by being so late.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Don't worry
Old 11-06-2017, 02:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm sure it was fine, too. He may very well be impressed with your ability to have the kids do something productive during the technology snafu, and your ability to clear up technology issues. If he's not, point that out in the post conference interview. Also point out the points that you hit in class A (and will hit in class B.)

And don't worry about being accused of preparing a "dog and pony" show. We all do. We all certainly want to put on a strong lesson for an observation. My colleague, who has been teaching for nearly 36 years and is one of the strongest teachers I've ever seen, was staying late on Friday night because her observation is Friday. She was putting up "I can" statements and making an anchor chart, etc. And admins know and expect to see prepared teachers when its a planned observation.

What I'd be concerned about is that your admin hasn't given you a post observation conference or a written observation after a week and a half. In my district, they have to get back in 5 school days, or they have to redo the observation. What are the guidelines in your district?

PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Act Now
Old 11-06-2017, 02:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't think it's fair for him to have walked late and then observe your next class. You deserve to be observed during a period that was mutually agreed on. You should not wait for the write-up, but go talk to the administrator immediately and make the case for why you would like him to reschedule another observation. Don't let him off the hook so easily. No need to make too many excuses, just tell him that this is what you would like him to do if he wouldn't mind.
Ucan is online now   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Observation
Old 11-06-2017, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I always plan my observation up against my planning period so things like that donít happen. I teach elementary, so if the administration is a no show I just teach a different lesson.

I canít believe how long you have to wait to get your scores back. Donít they know how effective feedback works?
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

One More Thing
Old 11-06-2017, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If he agrees to redo the observation, use the same well-prepared lesson that he was supposed to observe. I used to always practice the target lesson ahead of time with my students and let them know the reason for the repetition - much better! Good luck!

MissESL

Observation
Old 11-06-2017, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I also have an alternate lesson plan on the event of a no show.
Which is sad, because that shows you how often the admin actually shows up when he or she says they will.
Being prepared and striving to be at the place in your unit listed on your pre-observation lesson plan is not dog and pony - itís responsible. And, if his intention is to trip you up by showing up late/staying for the next period, thatís unfair, and Iíd be checking my observation guidelines document.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-06-2017, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I used to always practice the target lesson ahead of time with my students
My kids would out that tactic by hollering "WE DID THIS ALREADY!"

Ucan

Disinterested Principals
Old 11-06-2017, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

As the years rolled by, I found myself caring less and less about my evaluation scores. I realized that they were meaningless anyway. I've had principals who actually forgot to come to observe me (it's on their calendar!). When that happened to one of my colleagues, the P. just made up the entire eval. report! During my final evaluation, the P. actually fell asleep, much to the amusement of my students - I didn't have the presence of mind to grab my iPad and missed a great photo opp. Of course, if your pay raise is dependent on a good score, by all means RESCHEDULE.

Ucan

Revisit
Old 11-06-2017, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What's wrong with revisiting a lesson or unit? From their consistently low achievement scores (nationwide), I would guess that they haven't mastered the material and could probably benefit from a bit of review. Mastery learning requires constant review and practice.

Students who holler "We did this already!" have gotten used to being introduced to something one day and moving on to something else the next day - and never really learning much in the process.

Zia

Old 11-06-2017, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Well.. since you ask, this:

Quote:
If he agrees to redo the observation, use the same well-prepared lesson that he was supposed to observe. I used to always practice the target lesson ahead of time with my students and let them know the reason for the repetition - much better! Good luck!
doesn't sound like re-teaching to ensure mastery. It sounds like a rehearsed lesson designed to fool a P during an observation.

And my P has told me he can always tell a rehearsed lesson. He thinks it's hilarious when students say, "You're coming to my class today to watch my teacher!" That's just one way he knows when teachers coach their students for the observation.

Quote:
Students who holler "We did this already!" have gotten used to being introduced to something one day and moving on to something else the next day - and never really learning much in the process.
When I re-teach a concept, I don't present the exact same lesson that didn't work the first time. I come up with a different way to teach the material.

Ucan

Who Cares?
Old 11-06-2017, 10:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It worked for me every time and I got high scores for 33 years! Do what makes your P. happy.