Help

The VENT

Parent posting rude posts about me on FB

>

lourdes726

Parent posting rude posts about me on FB
Old 11-06-2017, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a parent of one of my students that posted some very rude things about me facebook. She does not mention my name only her son's teacher. However she is facebook friends with other parents and at least one teacher at my school, so many know she is talking about me. She makes false comments.such as I talk over her and won't listen. However, I have never had direct conversation with her. Her comments about me are not true and I am very offended. I have worked at this school for 20 years and have great relationships with parents. I am very bothered by her post. Has anyone else had this happen? Anything you recommend I do?
Thanks

lourdes726 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 11-07-2017, 02:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Screenshot it, print it and take it to your principal. Attach to it your point of view of the incidents she refers to (or that you have never spoken to the woman). Request the principal to arrange a meeting (with them present) with the parent to discuss the issues referred to. Do not contact the parent yourself - go through the principal.

Don't let it slide. That would only empower her.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Yes!
Old 11-07-2017, 02:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I absolutely 100% agree with Tiamat!

There is an incredibly difficult parent at my school, and I requested to have her child next year. (My teammates are very new and haven't built up the backbone they need yet, whereas I'm "seasoned"-i.e. old. )

I'm already making plans to have people I know who are friends with her on facebook to screen shot every single thing she says about me. I have a good reputation, and I will not allow some pissy, deceitful parent to talk smack about me. Her behavior is so bad, that I've already been looking up differences in slander and libel and what legal power I will have. Yeah...it's gonna be bad!

Don't let this slide. It will only continue, and your reputation will be damaged.

Good luck, lourdes!
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Hmmm
Old 11-07-2017, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

She's insecure and seeks power, perhaps. I'd invite her out for an early dinner. Tell her that you want to get to know her better. Then steer the conversation to asking her all sorts of questions that have nothing to do with her kid or your job. Model active listening.

I would Not screw around with screen shots. Rise above and quit looking at facebook. Seriously. Rise above, be the excellent person you are. Keep good records.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

amherstteach

Old 11-07-2017, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'd save the screenshots in case something happens in the future and it progresses to something worse. You need a paper trail. I would't bring it into the school. I would't show the principal or mention it to anyone at school. Unless she starts mentioning names and participating in slander and libel you don't have a leg to stand on. Just let it go. You know who you are and the other parents probably know she is full of it.

amherstteach is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 11-11-2017, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Print it out, keep records, and share it at least as a "for your information" with principal. I find if you do not at least give a for you info and the PITA parent goes over your head to the principal (which they most likely will) the principal often takes the person they heard it from first's side, which then is not you. Principals usually want to be forewarned if there is a mess coming their way.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-12-2017, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with EarthMonkey. Keep a copy of the screenshots and forearm your principal!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

learnforever

Great Advice
Old 11-15-2017, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Take the screenshots to the principal with your facts in writing. I had a similar situation and was told by the school district attorney that teachers are considered “public figures” and what is said is opinion unless it impugnes the individual’s reputation with malice and false facts. Parents are allowed to “not like” their child’s teacher. Do keep careful notes and screen shots at home in case this situation escalates. Good luck!

Last edited by learnforever; 11-15-2017 at 06:24 AM..
learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote