The VENT

Flat out Lying

>

ugh100

ugh100

Flat out Lying
Old 11-06-2017, 03:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a student come to me AFTER recess and tell me he was tackled and the other students were playing too rough. I asked for names, but he couldn't provide any. Knowing his mom's reputation, I looked him in the eye and asked if he needed to go to the clinic. He said no. I then told him I would address everyone tomorrow about playing too rough. Lo and behold, his mom called the principal. When my p asked her if she had contacted me, she said she was too upset to talk to me! Long story short, my p interviewed all involved...suddenly student came up with names...and student was being rough, too. He told mom and p I never asked if he needed to go to clinic. Then mom said I never respond to her emails or calls. SHE HAS NEVER CALLED ME, and she emailed me twice, one I responded to within 10 minutes and met with her THE NEXT DAY. The other was during school and I responded that day after school. I showed my p, and she said she believes me, but it infuriates me that both mom and the student bold faced lied! My p said let it go....

Ucan

Never
Old 11-06-2017, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would never let these things go. Even though your P appears to be unaffected, it goes onto the back-burner in his brain. I'm now retired, but whenever something like this happened, I would always follow-up with an unemotional detailed email which in your case would include most of the major facts that you were witness to. You can even send a copy to the parent if you like.

The email serves to accomplish several important things IMO:

1) It sets the record straight for all parties.
2) It helps to restore your good reputation.
3) It provides documentation of false accusations from this parent. Keep it in a special file in your computer.
4) It provides a healthy and professional outlet for you - good feelings!

Hope this helps!
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Yuck!
Old 11-06-2017, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Good suggestions--and it sounds like the principal is on your side.

A suggestion for the future--if you even think of asking this child if he needs to go to the clinic--just send him. And be sure to document any phone calls, conferences, conversations at pick up. Emails are easy because you have the time stamps. If you email the documentation to yourself, you'd have other contacts automatically dated also.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 11-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Even IF you never asked him if he needed to go to the clinic - why should you have to ask him. If he's visibly hurt you send him. If he's complaining of rough play but doesn't ask to go to the clinic or show any signs of needing to - why would you ask?

If we asked kids constantly if they need to go to the clinic (I assume this is to the office to get checked for injury?) they would ALL want to go - constantly!
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

lukewarm principal?
Old 11-06-2017, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If that principal can't stand for anything, this prince will fall for anything. You could at least claim that the principal believes you. What I can't stand is how this admin made you feel like you're hanging to dry. If I were you, I would document every dealing you have with this parent and cc the principal all the time and if there happens to be a meeting, make sure that this admin is present. Also make sure that you bring this incident up and clear the air for everyone to hear. You can't trust these.

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Let it go
Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, students lie and parents lie. This whole event was nothing. Kids play rough and then they lie and the truth doesn't come out until a counselor or principal brings them all it. Over the years I've had so many children lie right to my face. I've had parents in complete denial (or pretend to be) about their children.

Your principal said Let it Go. So let it go. Whether he holds on to these things or not is not your concern. Just keep being your fabulous self.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanmary

Old 11-07-2017, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you have any other incidences with this student, I would inform the p what occurred before the parent can call the p. That way the p hears it from you before the parent and hopefully he lets the parent know he is already aware of the situation and then that will make the p handle the matter differently.
jeanmary is offline   Reply With Quote