drag them along or slow down my teaching? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

First Grade

drag them along or slow down my teaching?

>

Schroe

drag them along or slow down my teaching?
Old 11-05-2017, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a core group of students (about 6 of them) who are struggling with math and reading for a variety of reasons. This makes it difficult to choose which subject to reteach during intervention time(happens during a short block each morning) and I am very limited with support. Luckily, there is a T1 teacher available during this block so these students spend 4/5 days working with LLI while I work with some more advanced students who I can never get to during guided reading time. I have 25 students and one 1:1 para in my room.
So...when I am offering core math instruction to my students with only 30 of the 60 minutes of time with a math co-teacher, we are trying to rotate 3 groups between us daily for 15 minutes at a time (with one of the groups working independently daily.) We use the Envisions Math but often veer away from it.
The difficulty becomes what to do with the kids who aren't grasping the material? Do I drag them along and continue to expose them to the concepts being taught and just do my best during intervention time? I am finding it so difficult to give all of the 25 students what they need with the time constraints and support I have this year (which is school-wide.) I don't want to push students who aren't ready but I also don't want to slow everything down when 80% are ready to move forward. I tell myself that moving forward is OK because they will have more opportunities to learn these concepts during the school year and into next year. Sigh.
What do you do?

Schroe is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Old 11-05-2017, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would give the rest of the class some math activities to do, and reteach that small group. I wouldn't feel good about moving on until I felt like I had done everything I could to make sure those kids got it.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

TishFish

Envision
Old 11-08-2017, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used to use Envision math at my old school, where I taught both Kinder and 3rd. I found that some of the topics are repeated over and over and others students never seemed to fully grasp.

What I would do is talk to the 2nd grade teachers. Ask them to give you the top 4 most important skills the kids will need to be successful in their class. My guess would be addition, subtraction, place value, and maybe graphing or skip counting. If your school has a curriculum map, perhaps look that over and see which skills they will get repeated exposure to that are lower on the totem pole.

I would focus your reteaching time on those core skills. If you're already veering away from Envision, then I'm assuming you have an admin that will allow you to change up pacing as necessary. Keep the main portion of the class on your normal schedule, and then find ways to apply that main portion to a basic skill for your reteaching. For example, if the class is working on money, spend time practicing skip counting by 5s and 10s with your lower group.

The Envision program doesn't seem to care about mastery and went so quickly through the "basic facts" chapters that it drove my crazy. I would not expect for your lower students to fully grasp these concepts in the amount of time given.
TishFish is offline   Reply With Quote