Help

Substitute Teachers

Kind of Funny

>

SubMan

Kind of Funny
Old 11-07-2017, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today I'm back at the school where the interventionists were no-shows.

One of the interventionists is the school's Reading teacher. Today she has recess detention in the library. Instead of supervising the students she is using her laptop to print to the color printer in the computer lab across and down the hall from the library.

During one of her visits to pick up the printouts one of the students she should have been supervising put Elmer's glue in her hand lotion.

She was fuming in the office when I left today.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Mixed feelings
Old 11-08-2017, 12:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm torn between seeing the irony in this and feeling sorry for the teacher. That day this teacher supposedly was goofing off has come and gone. Hopefully that isn't the regular behavior of the teacher to skip out on intervention time. Things are not always as they appear, so hopefully there was a legit reason for doing so. Regardless it's in the past. Teachers sure can be stretched beyond reasonable limits and need to make use of all of their time to plan and prepare for teaching. I can see myself trying to multi task during recess duty, but a certain level of supervision is necessary too. Then again, there is absolutely no reason a student should even think about putting glue into a teacher's hand lotion. Also, I am not a fan of recess detention, believing all student should get at least some of their recess each day, but that is another topic for another post.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

no way
Old 11-08-2017, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You are such a joker. No way did this really happen !!!! And if this were true why would you...?
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
During one of her visits to pick up the printouts one of the students she should have been supervising put Elmer's glue in her hand lotion.
Well. That's why you NEVER leave a kid or kids in detention without supervision. I can certainly see working on the laptop while keeping one eye on the kids, but what was on fire that she had to leave the library to go pick up the printouts at that moment?
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 11-08-2017, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
There is absolutely no reason a student should even think about putting glue into a teacher's hand lotion.
I could not agree more and have often used a version of this statement with kids who try to justify their behavior or an event. So I am fundamentally with Twin2 on this one... I am very slow to judge a colleague's decision perhaps because I know I've had to make some tough ones that could easily be seen as "bad" to someone who didn't know all the facts and details.

Lately, I have found myself often saying, "The problem with karma is it can take a long darn time to happen." But it usually does. Unfortunately, karma is not a great behavior management tool. Decisions and behavior should have related consequences--short term and long. Part of our responsibility as teachers is to manage consequences and connect the dots.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote