BusyBoard

Phonics instructional sequences ???

>

sfsetwedfgds

sfsetwedfgds

Phonics instructional sequences ???
Old 11-07-2017, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A question for those of you better versed in phonics instruction than I am: Why do the instructional sequences vary so much from program to program? For example, one program calls for introducing silent letters toward the beginning; another puts them at the very end. One puts vowel teams toward the end; another puts them more toward the beginning. Why would these sequences vary so much? Is it just a matter of opinion, or is there some research that calls for one sequence over another? I have yet to find anything definitive.

Lillybabe

Old 11-07-2017, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am fairly certain it is just preference. To some extent what order you introduce things will also determine how quickly your students are able to pick up noncontrolled text and read. I also some of it might be various publishers want to be different than others just for the sake of being different and claiming the method as the best one.

Personally I think you should teach cvc words (not as word families though), beginning and ending blends (sh, th, & ch), words with two consonants at the beginning or end (and, glad, trip, etc.), then open syllable words (me, we, go, etc.), and then the first rule of silent e (makes the vowel before say it's name). By that point students can read many words especially if you've been introducing a few select sight words as you go along. This method does mean students will need controlled texts for a while. Then you start introducing vowel blends and controlled r.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Thanks for your comment!
Old 11-08-2017, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's me. I posted at work, where I never sign in lest somebody be watching. I have been trying to figure this out for a while now. There are many Orton-Gillingham based programs, but they all seem to differ in the sequence of what's taught. The school where I'm currently teaching requires us to follow a true OG sequence, which leaves vowel teams and r-controlled vowels toward the end. It even puts silent letters (kn, wr, etc.) ahead of vowel-consonant-silent e. ?? I'm now moving to a new school that uses a different source for its sequence. It'll be interesting to see how they compare and how they differ. I will say that the differences make it really difficult to use materials from other sources; you wind up with text that isn't controlled carefully enough.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote