Help

Special Education

Help with severe and profound student - homebound

>

SpeedLimit62

Help with severe and profound student - homebound
Old 11-04-2017, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm working with a student who is severe and profound in the home setting. I get to spend 5 hours per week with him. He has menke's syndrome and a heart disease (low tone, non-verbal can't move his hands or arms). I am reaching out trying to get some ideas for things I can do with him. He does have a dynavox that he can use with eye gaze. I want to use that more with him but I don't have a ton of experience with it. I met with him for the first time today and based my time with him on his IEP goals.

His goals are:

- colors
- numbers
- farm animals
- letters

We looked at books, colors, listened to music, worked with the letters of his name, I read him a book, I tried working on determining his preferences through eye gaze or refusal sounds.

Do you have any ideas? This is uncharted territory for me. If you have any links of websites with activities or ideas for games we can play that would be great.

Thank you!

SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 11-09-2017, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds like fun! How old is your student? Does he have normal vision and hearing? Do you have acces to any technology? How well does he use his dynavox?
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Dynavox
Old 11-11-2017, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does the Dynavox have internet capabilities? If so, you can find some fun pre-k/k activities online. I use abcya with my students using a Smartboard, but it could work well with an eye gaze system.

You didn't say how old your student is. Can you do hand over hand activities with him (play doh, finger paint, shaving cream or pudding art, etc.) to give him some input to his hands.

I did homebound with a student who was paralyzed from the chin down. We even went into the kitchen one time and, with hand over hand, helped mom to make chocolate chip cookies. I tried to address her goals/objectives by using things she liked (she was kindie/first grade) like Wolf Spiders and Justin Timberlake. She was more receptive to doing the activities and not faking sleep if she was actively involved with hand over hand assistance.

Do holiday crafts, stories, sensory experiences. For farm animals, you can use them for math (counting), word id, letter id/letter sounds, etc. You can make play doh animals. My student was mostly bedridden, so we made things she could put on her walls and hang over her bed. She loved it.

Have fun with your student.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote