Substitute Teachers

no technology?!

>

Lumberman

Lumberman

no technology?!
Old 11-07-2017, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, I was in for a teacher the whole day today. Is it too much to ask if the regular leaves the guest with tools to work with? There's plenty of whiteboard space to write the agenda down and that's good. Reporting of attendance by e-mailing a clerk is just more convenient. Why did this teacher have to take the equipment out of his room and leave the guest going without.

And just my luck part way through the last period of the day, an admin drops by albeit briefly BUT guess what he saw me doing? I was using my own cell to report the attendance. You can guess what he was probably thinking, grrrrr...

twin2

Old 11-07-2017, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Where I substitute, teachers do not leave their laptops. Substitutes cannot use the Smart board either, unless the teacher happens to have a document camera and then of course the sub is limited to whatever the teacher printed out or otherwise left for the teacher to put under the document camera.

We still use paper attendance for substitutes. I would love to be able to just email it to the office.

I am leary of pulling out my phone during class, but as it was pointed out to me on PT, it is becoming a more accepted practice. Substitutes depend on their phones for the correct time, use of a timer on the phone, the use of the internet to answer a question, etc. I have emailed the office with a question on my phone, one teacher leaves his cell number in his plans instructing the sub to call him if things get out of hand, and one classroom doesn't even have a clock so I used my cell phone as a clock.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

worse things can happen
Old 11-07-2017, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The teacher could've left you with no plan too! If the admin did not pull you out or called you into the main office by the day's end, count yourself good. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-07-2017, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

After 10 years, I finally have an old computer that I leave hooked to my white board. I take my computer home with me so I can work on plans, email, or you it for whatever training I am in. I would never count on a sub having an email they could use to report attendance. Nor to have access to an address to send attendance to. I just ask them to send it in with our lunch count.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

I'm always given...
Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

a roll sheet along with the keys. I usually need to explain to the class that whenever they have a sub, attendance is taken the old-fashioned way.

BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I leave my computer
Old 11-08-2017, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

but our attendance is thru the same program as grades, etc so there is no way I'm leaving my password for that.

And there is no need for the sub to access or do attendance through their personal cell phone. EVER. When I am absent, the sub needs to call the student attendance into the appropriate school office on the classroom phone.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Might be (too much to ask)
Old 11-08-2017, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As others have noted, subs are, by nature of the job, likely to work with reduced resources. I would never use a regular teacher's laptop, even if it was there. I am very hesitant to use any technology that I am unfamiliar with... both because it can mean lost time while trying to figure it out and fear of screwing something up. (Depending on the grade, the kids may be able to help.) i carry a backpack with assorted supplies and tools... and use my personal iPad when necessary, it that's rare. Most commonly I use it to email my sub report at the end of the day.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 11-08-2017, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In the 3 years I've been subbing I think I've taken attendance on paper once and called in the attendance to the office 3x. It's always on the laptops and if a teacher has taken her laptop we're expected to check an extra one out thru the library or the office. And I just learned we're supposed to keep our district email up the entire day on the laptop. The office has emailed me twice about certain students who have car rider changes. I think it would be easier for them just to call me.

I get really tech heavy plans a lot of the time....and usually I have some type of tech fail in there...every time. Ugh
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 11-08-2017, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've also had teacher's leave their computers up and running with with their log in etc and files open.---sooo super common here. I use their laptop for what they are asking and nothing more, ever.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 11-09-2017, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just pick up the classroom phone and call in the attendance. "Hi, this is Me in So-and-So's room" then I name the kids. Every once in awhile I'll send a kid down to the office with the absences but usually not.

Teachers at my school usually always have a laptop there in the classroom but mostly I never have the password. Some do leave it for me if they want me to do a lesson using the Smartboard, or sometimes they tell me that the neighboring teacher will come in a set it up for me. Whatever works for them, it doesn't matter to me. The only time I really miss it if I can't get it to work is for the youngest grades, because we won't get to do the little dance videos that they use as a "shake break" a couple times throughout the day. In that case I'll play Simon Sez with them, or bring my iPod and play dance music and call "freeze" every once in awhile so they don't get too wild.

Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

one of the few
Old 11-11-2017, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

So in the district I work for, we are provided with e-mail accounts and login/user for computer use. In other districts I know, subs are given a temporary user/pass to take attendance with. Unfortunately, since it's is grade season, one possible reason why the teacher took the laptop home is to do grades with and enter them in the system. Pretty understandable.

Wellson

Old 11-15-2017, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Most of the time I have nothing, one school is even set up in such a way you can't use the document camera without the laptop. I am always given a paper roll sheet for elementary classes, however, every high school and most middle schools give the subs a temp login to take roll.
Wellson is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Limited too...
Old 11-15-2017, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In my district, the various buildings equip subs differently. If I am in the high school, I am better equipped to do my job because for one thing, I am given keys to get to where I need to be! Also, they are smart enough to allow subs to utilize technology because most of the time it is needed for lessons. Now, if I am in the elementary school, I generally find myself arriving to a locked classroom, so I need to usually flag a janitor down if I want to get in before the students arrive and see what the plans are. Then usually the teacher has a tech-filled lesson where I need to access and pull up various websites to even get to the material she wants me to teach. That takes time which is difficult when you spend the first 15 minutes trying to get into a locked classroom. Also, in addition to not getting keys to rooms, we also are not able to get into the building because we don't have keytag access. So in a case like today, where I was one of the inferior keyless subs covering all of 3rd grade at recess time, where we were EXPECTED to take the kids outside, none of us would have been able to get back into the building. Fortunately I thought of this fact before my teacher left for her meeting and begged for her tag so I could take it out with me at recess and let all of us "subhumans" back into the building with the students in our care. Not to mention, a girl in another class sprained her ankle while we were out there too, so if I didn't have that tag, that would have been a really ugly issue. Yes, it would be nice if subs were equipped with everything they needed to carry out the job they need to do and keep the kids safe. Wouldn't that be something!
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote