Help

BusyBoard

Hypochondriac class..

>

SweetTea

Hypochondriac class..
Old 11-08-2017, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I started working at a new school in a different district. I cannot believe how many of them ask to go to the nurse....every day....all day long. They complain about everything...you'd think they were 80 instead of 8. I started a "nurse" log to show them how many times they have asked. I have also contacted parents to say "Johnny has asked to go to the nurse at least 8 times today. I allowed him to go once". Anyone else have this problem? I am pretty sure someone in the grade level below allowed this behavior...I do not want to be the mean teacher, but seriously? Thanks in advance for ideas.

SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Dreamer625

Self Help Station
Old 11-08-2017, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I stole the idea from pinterest. I bought a clear container and put band aids, a small jar of Vaseline and some q-tips, mints, and lotion. On the top I have two signs. One says blood - band aid; chapped lips - Vaseline; dry skin - lotion. The other ones says: don't feel good? get a drink, use the restroom, try a mint. Only after all that do they ask to go to the nurse. It has really cut down on nurse visits. My kids are in 4th and they do really well with this.
Dreamer625 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-08-2017, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My rule: unless theyíre bleeding or vomiting I say ďnoĒ to all nurse requests (unless itís a kid that NEVER asks to go or really looks sick). If they ask to go a second time Iíll generally let them go.

I have a few hypochondriacs that I never let go.

Also, asmathics are always allowed to go. I donít mess with breathing issues.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-08-2017, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If the emergency starts with the sound of the letter B ,I give the child a pass. Barf,breathing,blood,bruise,bum p,burning up. There will usually be that one exception every year..the girl who has terrible menstrual cramps. Don't be that teacher that won't let her go to the nurse's office and call home for aspirin or mom.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 11-08-2017, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Could you talk to the nurse? Maybe if you send the kids Our problems stopped when we got a new nurse. She is very no-nonsense and a bit gruff. The kids quickly learned they weren't going home and certainly won't be getting any tlc in the nurse's office and now they rarely ask to go. Maybe not the best solution, but within weeks it dramatically cut down nurse visit requests across the school!

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

2 Ideas
Old 11-09-2017, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had this problem with a class I was subbing for once. They had been though a lot of changes, and I think they were a bit anxious. The nurse came in and talked to the kids about what they really need to see her for and what they don't. (I like the idea of a jar of band-aids in the classroom, too!)

They may actually just be wanting the break/walk/stretch that going to the nurse gives them. Is there a way to incorporate more appropriate movement into their routines? - I'm thinking of things like having them walk their paper to a turn-in bin instead of you going around and collecting it.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Sick???
Old 11-09-2017, 02:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Keep a thermometer with plenty of the throw away sleeves at your desk. When a child complains, take his temperature. If there is no fever, the child returns to his seat. I always explained that parents are only called it there is a fever. Watch the child for awhile. Most likely they act normally (especially if they think you are not looking) in a very short time. At that point you can share your joy that they are feeling so much better.

For really hard core cases, let them sit out at recess since they are not feeling. Be VERY sympathetic. After a few minutes ask how they are feeling. If they are better, then they can join their friends.

It was amazing how having that thermometer cut down the number of "sick" children.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

SweetTea

Thanks everyone...
Old 11-09-2017, 03:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I appreciate all your advice and wisdom. Just as a side note, we received an email late last night that our nurse has resigned to take a new position in a medical practice. . She was very good, but it will be interesting to see who replaces her.
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Frequent fliers
Old 11-09-2017, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That's what they were called at my previous school. These students always asked to go to the nurse. Usually it was right after they'd had a great time playing at recess. It was pretty obvious that kids used "illness" to get out of class. We always kept bandaids in class, which helped a little. I usually told kids to sit down and wait for a few minutes to see how they felt, then addressed the request after that. Also, sometimes if I told them they would miss PE in order to go to the nurse, they suddenly recovered.
teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Nurse
Old 11-09-2017, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The jar of band aids doesnít always work. I tried it. We worked for a week on when you need one and when you donít. The next week I was at a training. My coworker went to get something from my room and several students were covered with band aids. She started taking video of them and students started ripping off band aids!

I usually tell students to put their head down and close their eyes. I tell them I will set the timer for 10 minutes, and Iíll check back when it goes off to see how they are feeling. I donít set the timer. Usually they get tired of waiting for the timer, or keeping their head down, and they rejoin us.

Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 11-09-2017, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The not setting the timer made me laugh!

I do something similar if I think they are faking. Rest, head down and wait for the next break. We will reassess then. If they can keep up being "sick" til the next break, they likely are. Most miraculously recover quite quickly. That 10 minute time frame sounds about right!

I think you are right, it is a bad habit they might have picked up last year. Mine were all bathroom issues...everyone wanted to go 8+ times a day so I had to get quite hard nosed about it. Now I just have 3 boys that ask constantly and I know it is because they need the break so I try to get more movement breaks in for them.

The worst was assemblies! Breaking them of the bathroom habit was tough as some of our assemblies are pretty boring. I often feel urge to go for a walk during them too!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

It's an attention thing.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I work at a very low income school. Many of our kids are lacking in parental attention (whether because parents work so much, or just don't care). They have discovered that one of the ways to get attention is to be sick or hurt. So they want to go to the nurse for adult attention, comfort, and nurturing.
Our nurse has told us basically if a kid wants to go to the nurse, let them. But I limit it.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Awwww...
Old 11-09-2017, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I work at a very low income school. Many of our kids are lacking in parental attention (whether because parents work so much, or just don't care). They have discovered that one of the ways to get attention is to be sick or hurt. So they want to go to the nurse for adult attention, comfort, and nurturing.
those poor kids! I just want to hug them.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 11-12-2017, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

They probably had a teacher the previous year that sent them for everything. I usually say yes to a student just because parents will flip at our school if we deny them but if it's something like a paper cut or aoemting tiny like that, then I say no.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote