Help

BusyBoard

Room parent

>

KT_203

Room parent
Old 11-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you have room parents at your school what do you have them do? I'm trying to figure out the best things for them to do. This is new to me because at my previous school we didn't really have room parents.

KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-09-2017, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Room parents are your organizers. Need volunteers? Room parent finds them and works out the schedule. Class party? Room parent contacts the parents and gets things taken care of.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Room Parents
Old 11-09-2017, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Planning class parties was the biggie where I worked. I am retired now but room parents are a real blessing.

We also had a grade level coordinator who got all the room parents together across the grade level to plan for each party. That way everyone got about the save level of party. For example one year before we had grade level coordinators a kinder room parent hired an actor to be Santa at school just for her child's class. You can imagine what a mess that turned out to be when the other classes discovered Santa in the hallway! They did not understand why Santa was not coming to their classroom to visit.

We had three parties at our school each year. We had an end of first semester party before leaving for winter break, a Valentine's Day celebration and an end of year party.

We usually asked that three things be served at each party. That included something salty (chips, pretzels, popcorn), something sweet (big cookies, cupcakes, doughnuts) and then something healthy. (fruit, cheese, small sandwiches)We normally had students drink water rather than having a second surgery item to consume at the party. But if you serve a drink juice boxes are best at preventing big spills.

We also asked parents to plan an easy game or craft and then run it by us after they decided. We usually had many of the supplies needed so they did not need to get a parent to donate them.

The room parent does the calling to get parents to make or buy all the things needed. They also get parent volunteers to attend the party plus lead the activity.

We found that a party at the end of the school day for 45 minutes worked best. That include clean up time. So it is pretty fast and furious.

Room parents can also be called when you need any kind of help with a big class project or field trip. Explain what you need and then allow the parent to contact other parents to get volunteers.

Our room parents also helped coordinate help for the teacher with copies and workroom related tasks like cutting things out for each student for a lesson.

I hope that helps a little. Let me know if you have more specific questions.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote