Anyone live in Sacramento/Roseville area? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Anyone live in Sacramento/Roseville area?

>

eeza

Anyone live in Sacramento/Roseville area?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:59 AM

My husband and I are seriously looking to get out of the Bay Area. We hope to stay in CA since it would be easier since we both have CA credentials. Does anyone live in the Sacramento/Roseville area? Or even Rocklin?

I want to know things like:
1) Is traffic less crazy than the Bay Area?
2) The Bay Area is very liberal. Is it that way up there too?
3) What's the crime like?
4) I know it goes crazy hot in the summer, but how's the winter? Is there dense fog like in other central CA areas?

5) Anything else I should know about?

We can PM if you'd like. I plan to drive up there soon to check it out, but firsthand knowledge would be helpful. Thanks!

eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Areavibes
Old 11-08-2017, 09:27 AM

http://www.areavibes.com/roseville-c...682+-121.31662

http://www.areavibes.com/rocklin-ca/...804+-121.25037

You can get some of the information you are looking for here.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

eeza

areavibes website
Old 11-08-2017, 12:01 PM

That's a great website. Thanks!

knitting987!

Old 11-08-2017, 02:33 PM

We visit there and always like it. Yes to fog during certain times of year. Yes to hot. Yes to traffic.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 11-08-2017, 02:39 PM

That is an interesting site. Our town stank. Ha. May not to move here.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

momagain

Old 11-08-2017, 04:23 PM

I grew up in Roseville, my parents still live there. I have been gone from there since 1990 but still visit. They have a lot of schools now.
momagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-08-2017, 04:42 PM

I haven't lived there in a while but my parents and the rest of my family are still up there so I visit a lot.

1) Is traffic less crazy than the Bay Area? Yes, it's less crazy than the Bay Area. But there's still a lot of traffic.

2) The Bay Area is very liberal. Is it that way up there too? I don't know to what degree, but I would say it's more conservative. But not to the point that you wouldn't want to live there... does that make sense? There's still a wide range.

3) What's the crime like? I think that Roseville/Rocklin aren't bad. As for the greater Sacramento area it really depends on where you are. Some great areas, some not so great, just like anywhere.

4) I know it goes crazy hot in the summer, but how's the winter? Is there dense fog like in other central CA areas? Sometimes the fog can be bad, similar to the rest of the state. The winter's are fine. It never gets "really" cold. If you can afford a pool it's a godsend in the summer!

5) Anything else I should know about? There are a ton of people who work in the Bay Area and live there. A ton. There are a lot of schools, but I don't know what the job search is like. Roseville schools have a good reputation. Other districts can be hit or miss. Roseville is very, um, gated-community suburbia in my opinion. Not a lot of character, lots of chain restaurants and stores. Just kind of a typical, newer community. I'm not sure about Rocklin - I haven't been there in many years. There are some really great places downtown, but like many cities they are surrounded by the not so great places. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Growing up there, for me the best thing was the proximity to Tahoe and SF. I didn't really care much for Sacramento itself. But I know a lot of people who have moved there from So Cal and really love it. And, of course, I'm old so it's changed.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

Roseville/Rocklin area
Old 11-08-2017, 05:55 PM

Thank you all so much for the information. Especially Sbkangas5! I appreciate the offer of the PM. I may just take you up on that as I explore that area little bit more.

basketball777

Old 11-08-2017, 06:02 PM

My inlaws used to live in west sac and now they're a little past rocklin. (Id say they live Ina wildfire hazard areanow!)I have to say the traffic seems just as bad to me!! I have traveled there or through there a bit.... it can be very heavy during rush hours and you get all of the Reno/Tahoe traffic passing through. If you can take car pool lanes it's not quite as bad. Often there's trafficky pockets. I've seen bad traffic near Roseville/rocklin

It's hotter in the summer there...very hot. Winter weather is similar to Bay Area. I'm one hour fromSac. It can get foggy...

Crime reminds me of San Jose a little. Some areas such as west sac seem safer. You should know the pay for teaching is really low there in my opinion. Housing seems cheaper.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

You can also compare two cities
Old 11-08-2017, 06:18 PM

http://www.areavibes.com/cost-of-living-calculator/

WalkDontRun

Old 11-08-2017, 07:16 PM

I loved living in the Sacramento area, but that was many many years ago. Roseville was the country back then! I remember the crazy thick tule fog--thickest fog I've ever seen. Summers are hot but not too humid. Great access to both the Bay Area and Reno/Lake Tahoe.
WalkDontRun is online now   Reply With Quote
SacCounty

SacCounty

Signed out for this (LONG)...
Old 11-09-2017, 01:37 AM

I am out on maternity leave, but this post is still a bit too identifying to post under my username.

I live in the Sacramento area, and love it. I grew up on a farm in Sutter County, and now live in Fair Oaks.

1. There is certainly some traffic, but it is nothing compared to SF or Silicon Valley. I don't know how our traffic compares to less populated areas of the Bay Area.

2. I am conservative, so keep that in mind when you read my answer (we may view things differently):
Sacramento proper is quite liberal - probably not as liberal as the Bay Area, but close. Not too many teachers live in the city itself, however, as there aren't many middle class neighborhoods in it (most neighborhoods are either rather wealthy or rather poor). Arden-Arcade, Carmichael, and Natomas aren't as liberal as the city, but are still very liberal. Fair Oaks, Roseville, Folsom, Citrus Heights, Rancho Cordova and Elk Grove are more mixed. You will find plenty of Democrats, as well as plenty of Republicans. Rocklin, Orangevale, North Highlands, Antelope, El Dorado Hills, Rio Linda, Gold River, and the surrounding farmland leans Republican. These areas aren't populated solely with the alt-right, and there is plenty of political diversity, but they are more conservative.

The Sacramento area is just so diverse, both politically and ethnically. The suburbs have a large percentage of Eastern Europeans (who tend to be conservative as well as highly religious), the Arden-Arcade area has received many resettled Middle Eastern refugees, and many Indians and Chinese live in the Folsom area and work at Intel. That I know of, the area has Russian/Ukranian, Romanian, Hmong, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Farsi, and Greek language schools. Although the area is liberal overall, conservatives make up a large majority. In my experience, the political diversity (and cultural) tends to lend itself to tolerance. If you decide to live in Rocklin, depending on the exact neighborhood you settle in you will likely be in the political minority, but I expect you will be welcomed with open arms.

3. Like any large metropolitan area, the crime varies based on the neighborhood. In Sacramento, you should steer clear of South Sacramento, Meadowview, and North Sacramento (especially Del Paso Heights). East Sacramento and Land Park are very safe, but also very expensive.

Carmichael, Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Roseville, Rocklin, Elk Grove, Gold River, Folsom, and El Dorado Hills are all very safe suburbs. Arden-Arcade has some very safe areas, such as Sierra Oaks, but also some VERY dangerous areas, like the area around Encina High. North Highlands and Rio Linda are also areas to avoid.

4. The winter can be rather cold, but there isn't much fog. As you already know, the summers are very hot.

5. You should check out Gunther's (ice cream store).

If you like the city, you should live in Sacramento.

If you like gated communities, you should live in Gold River.

If you like traditional suburbia, you should live in Roseville, Rocklin, Carmichael, Elk Grove, North Natomas, or Arden-Arcade.

If you like a semi-rural feel (or occasionally downright rural), you should live in Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Folsom, Rancho Cordova, or El Dorado Hills.

Good luck!

eeza

Roseville/Rocklin area
Old 11-09-2017, 01:27 PM

SacCounty, that was tremendously helpful! One of my fears is that I won't know the "bad" areas of town since I'm not from the area. Your breakdown of that is great!

And I appreciate the recommendation of Gunther's. Of all desserts available, ice cream is my favorite!

P.S. Congratulations on your new baby!

1956BD

Crime rates by neighborhood
Old 11-10-2017, 01:39 AM

are often reported online by different real estate websites. I know Trulia offers this service. They sometimes even tell you types of crimes and dates when they happened. So you will have some idea after previewing homes online. Write down neighed names of neighborhoods as you shop online until you become familiar with safe areas by name. Good luck!