Help

Retired Teachers

our OLD stuff and down sizing

>

mhugs

our OLD stuff and down sizing
Old 11-09-2017, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We were eating supper at DD#1's house and talked about our new roof and our desire to side our house in the spring. All of which will add to resale value. DD then went on to say DON'T DIE NOW! We aren't planning on it. Anyway she wants my 'china cabinet' and all the pieces in it. She went on to say it isn't her style but its her childhood. It really surprised me that she'd want it as she is not the collector type personality. She also asked about the ceramic/plaster pig that is from my great grandpa Jennings store. Made me feel kinda good she would want any of our stuff.
The 'china' cabinet was in my grandmothers house and as the story goes was a country doctors instrument cabinet. The doctor delivered my mother in 1916.

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

China Cabinet
Old 11-09-2017, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your china cabinet with dishes must hold good memories for your daughter. That's why she wants to keep them forever even though they are not the style she would choose if she were purchasing something new. They remind her of growing up in a loving home where her family gathered around the dining table to share a meal and the love they felt for one another. That is a really sweet image hugs.

The cabinet has an interesting history. I would love to see a photo of doctor's instrument cabinet.

Good luck with the "Fixer Upper" process and selling your home in preparation of the next place you call home.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Family pieces
Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have had similar conversations with our daughters.

It actually started when the girls were in high school, and we'd get out the "good" dishes and silver for holidays and nice dinners. The girls started talking about my antique dinnerware and flatware. They have different tastes and by the end of dinner it was decided who got what! Easy-peasy!

Now as my husband and I down-size, we are talking more freely with the girls as to what their wishes are. Out comes the painter's tape, we write her name on it, and place it on the back or underneath the item. We also keep a list in the filing cabinet, particularly if a tape label cannot be used.

We don't expect our children to want all our "stuff," and it's a pleasant surprise when they want to continue parts of family history with some special pieces.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Old 11-09-2017, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I told my daughters they were each getting about a box of things that are very precious to us (family heirlooms, things we collected during travel, etc.) That's non-negotiable!
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 11-10-2017, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My daughter also wanted my china cabinet. I was happy, since it really didn't fit into my new downsized home. Next thing I knew, she painted it white, changed the hardware, and my china cabinet, that held my memories, was no more! Life goes on!

readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote