Help

Retired Teachers

I need to stop shopping!

>

wildflowerz

I need to stop shopping!
Old 11-09-2017, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Retirement is on the horizon and I need to stop buying teacher clothing. I also need to stop buying winter clothing since we are planning on living in the motorhome and following the sun.

I saw a beautiful jacket at Nordstrom and it took several days to talk myself out of buying it.

I had to get some socks at Kohl's and was sad that I couldn't get anything other than socks. (I have way too much clothing and will be drastically scaling back when I retire.)

My shopping rule right now is that I can only buy something if it is going on the road with us. Duck shoes and a new sweatshirt passed that test.

Did you have to ween yourself off of shopping for teacher clothes? How did you do it?

wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrfeature

Yes, it was fun
Old 11-09-2017, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My dressy, rather conservative yet on trend teacher clothes were a pain to coordinate, buy and continuously fit into. Now I buy athleleisure. My rule is comfortable, flattering and I love it. No more compromise. Less is more. Shoes are the only problem. Takes a lot of browsing.
tchrfeature is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

If you are following the sun
Old 11-09-2017, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

you may want some Keens. They are great hiking sandals. If you encounter a creek no problem just keep walking. They can get wet. In fact you can wash them in the washing machine. (No dryer though) They are comfortable and last a long time. I had my first pair 10 years but I did not wear them every day. The toes are is reinforced so it is impossible to stub your toes. Can you tell I love mine?

https://www.keenfootwear.com/womens-...0&sz=36#tile-0

My first and second pair were the Newport style.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 11-09-2017, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Think about this when you uave an urge to stock up on teacher clothes just prior to retiring. Dont waste your hard earned money!

I retired I took every single piece of teacher clothing to the Goodwill. Shirts, pants, shoes and coats all went. I wore them and wore them well. It was definitely time to put them out to pasture.
MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

wildflower
Old 11-09-2017, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You can likely still get the jacket. It can get cool at night in sunny climes!

Some full time RV-ers rent a storage place near relatives to have seasonal trade out clothes and other items that cannot possibly be let go.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

partyplanner

Temptation
Old 11-09-2017, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is my last year as well. Each time I want to purchase that new dress or skirt, I convince myself to buy a nice casual sweater or jeans in its place.Itís hard but am so relieved when I get home and realize I will get so much use out of it. I keep telling myself...only seven more months. No need to buy more school clothing!
partyplanner is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

partyplanner
Old 11-09-2017, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I try to get out of pajamas by noon on days without appointments. You might look for comfortable or terribly attractive lounging outfits.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Shopping
Old 11-09-2017, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is my favorite hobby! I loved shopping for outfits for work. The day after I retired I cleaned out my closet of 6 bags of clothes.

I still like to shop, but I have pulled way back until I can decide what my retirement look will be. I stopped buying dresses, and I love them, because it dawned on me I wouldn't wear them.

The same with shoes. I used to buy lots of cute, low heeled shoes. Until two weeks ago, I wore flip flops and sandals since June.

Just pause a bit with the shopping. Ask yourself "Where/when/how often will I wear this?"
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Retired new look
Old 11-09-2017, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have been trying to get away from the "teacher" look. I am buying new to me styles and more jewelry. I am having fun mostly shopping at resale shops.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Shopping
Old 11-10-2017, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm not a big shopper and am happy not to have to deal with a work wardrobe anymore. I still like buying handbags, however, and sometimes have to stop myself from doing so.

travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 11-10-2017, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My husband and I are full time RVers. We don't need many clothes. We have lots of t-shirts, jeans, and tennis shoes. Honestly, the best thing we did is not buy much new for our new lifestyle. We waited until we were on the road and could tell what we really needed! You won't have room for much. Instead of shopping at stores- start digital shopping. Research apps you will need for your new travels, hobbies for the road, ebooks, organizations you might join, and music.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 11-10-2017, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I gave away so many clothes when I retired. Now it's all comfort clothes. If I have to go somewhere special, I often have to go buy something then. Now shoes are another story. I gave away all heels, except for one pair. I kept most of my casual shoes, and can't seem to say no to more shoes. I have summer sandals that I didn't touch this year, so I really should give some away. I really should, really. Maybe next year!
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

I pruned many items
Old 11-10-2017, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When I retired I pruned many teacher clothes. Over three years later I am
still at it. I just parted with 15 purses and 5 wallets! I also collected work-out clothes and donated over 30 pairs of yoga pants!

For the past few holiday seasons I invested in one party top to wear to the parties we go to. The groups have different people so no one can witness the same new top. I have one pair of black dress pants that fit well. I do this in the summer-spring season as well.

I vowed not to buy more shampoo, lotions and other beauty products until
they were gone! I had three boxes of stuff and am down to one.

I am now going through my kitchen and getting rid of junky appliances that take of so much space. It feels so good to have less stuff.

I did that with my classroom my last year. I bought nothing new because I had stockpiles of stuff. It worked out well.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrfeature

What a great site!
Old 11-11-2017, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Cute shoes- thank you!
tchrfeature is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 11-12-2017, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thank you all for your responses. It was interesting reading how much people got rid of once they retired.

I might try selling things on Thred Up. It seems easy enough.

I figured out that I’m going to keep a closet of winter clothing and boots at my sister’s house. I won’t have to pack much when I come home to visit in the winter.

I love Keens. I definitely have to get a pair this summer.

I’ve decided that I can keep buying hats. Flipside Hats are my favorite and I wear them all the time. They barely take up any space so they are good for the RV.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote