The Strike

>

ToxicLevels

ToxicLevels

The Strike
Old 11-09-2017, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Signed out for privacy reasons.

I love my district. I went to school in this district, I graduated from this district, I have had so many opportunities and I have gotten to teach the courses I want to teach, for the most part. However, I don't think I can continue to stay in this district.

My district is going through some financial difficulties, so a lot of budget cuts are happening, which is understandable. But, many moons ago the teacher's union negotiated with the district to give teachers who receive "highly effective" or "effective" ratings three years in a row a raise, with a cap of course, in place of a yearly raise and an automatic bump in paygrade for recieveing higher degrees. Well, now the district is backing down on these promises to the point where they are not offering any portion of the promised raise to the teachers. So now it has gotten to the point that a lot of teachers are picketing outside schools before school and the school board and only working "contract hours" (arriving 10 minutes before the first bell and leaving 20 minutes after the last bell). To put the icing on the cake, if the negotiating table does not reach SOME kind agreement by next Friday, there is talk of a teacher strike. And instead of the board talking about that issue, all they want to talk about is equipping school buses with Wi-Fi and parking them in low-income neighborhoods so students and parents can have access to the internet.

Also, the school board isn't exactly a model board either. They claim to be spending money on "essential issues only", but they just dropped almost $200,000 to remodel their board room that had no issues with it at all while leaving many schools without air conditioning. Also, most of the school buildings in my district are over 50 years old and have not been maintained they way they should so the schools are falling apart and are gross. Also, there are 4 open state investigations and one lawsuit for claims of corruption, political favors, and abuse of power.

I am a positive person and I like to work with positive people. I know there are bad apples in every bunch, but there are too many bad apples in this bunch to the point where I am ashamed to say I work for this district.

eeza

strike
Old 11-09-2017, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your district is not unique. I do think there are some good ones out there, but so many are just in financial ruins. Districts and boards just spend money. When it's not their money, it's easier to spend it on extras that just don't make sense. I also think that districts are like businesses. We want to think that they're not because we're in the field of education and work with children, but it really is more business-like than not.

If you feel ashamed to be part of this district, then start working on getting your resume beefed up. Look elsewhere. Working takes up a huge chunk of your day. You should enjoy it a bit!
eeza is online now   Reply With Quote

Ucan

If Only They Were Run Like a Business
Old 11-09-2017, 10:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The primary difference between public school districts and businesses is accountability. Districts are not accountable to their constituents, whereas businesses are accountable to their customers or shareholders. Districts spend money like there is no tomorrow and continue to receive funding year after year regardless of their performance; businesses are always monitoring their expenditures and earnings and those that are not financially solvent must eventually close their doors. Administrators in charge of our schools would never be able to run a successful business.
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Sounds familiar
Old 11-10-2017, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Maybe the $50,000 custom made table our school board is getting could go into your newly remodeled board room. In the meantime, our teachers are working without a contract.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 11-10-2017, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In one district where I sub the pay rate for instructional aides, secretaries, and custodians was dropped to $7.50/hour to start.

Throughout the negotiations (over 2 years) the district claimed it had no more money and repeatedly threatened to outsource these positions.

As soon as the new contract was signed 2.1 million was spent on soccer fields.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote