BusyBoard

NWEA MAP assessement in Developmental Kindergarten

>

Dragonflygrl

Dragonflygrl

NWEA MAP assessement in Developmental Kindergarten
Old 11-09-2017, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have assessments, data, informal assessements, ancedotal records, etc...however, my administrator is wanting me to give the NWEA MAP assessment to the DKinders.

I am not in agreement with this at all so, I am looking for advice.

Thank you.

WGReading

Old 11-10-2017, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd start by asking about the rationale for using the assessment. Is there data that can be collected that you don't already have? Is it a new requirement of your district or state? Is it "because the rest of the school is doing it"? Knowing the why might help you figure out the best way to argue your position.

In our district, our district level person who manages assessment data and testing programs and reports information to the state to measure growth and NCLB/ESSA stuff often needs two standardized pre/post data points, so our district strongly pushes MAP (though none of our kinders do it) but if a school can show a reliable way to measure growth that he can use for reporting, they are ok with an alternative measure.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-10-2017, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always question the assessments that we are suddenly told we need to give, and like WGReading suggested I always ask why are we doing them. What are we using the data for? How will it help my teaching? What data will we gain that we don't already have? And will it be data that actually shows what my kinders know or will it be data that shows me who knows how to follow directions and take a test?

By doing this it shows my admin that I'm not opposed to the testing and that I'm willing to do it if it is going to be something useful. I've actually had my admin back down on two tests because of this.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-12-2017, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have zero say in this sort of thing. It comes down from the state.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote
Dragonflygrl

Dragonflygrl

Nwea
Old 11-12-2017, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you.

The rationale is because my adminstrator *wants* it and the rest of the school is doing it.

My adminsitrator is a previous middle school math teacher who truly does not understand how little brains work nor, how educators of little people educate.

We do not have a district level person who manages assessment data/testing programs. The person who looks at this is our building admin and then in turn he reports to the asst. super and the super.

My admin also wants/wanted me to come up with a magical number of what I wanted my DKinders to attain by the end of the school year in order to show growth. Goodness....if they can write their names, name the letters of the alphabet with sounds, read the pre-primer words, count to 30, etc... when they could not do any of that before then that right there is amazing growth.

As I have been working on this for about a week now I have learned that no surrounding area school districts administer the NWEA to their DKinder children.

Thank you for your help.:-)

Zia

Old 11-12-2017, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What does D Kinder mean for you? In my district, it means severe SpEd.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote