Help

BusyBoard

Kids who cannot walk in line

>

MrsWok

Kids who cannot walk in line
Old 11-09-2017, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have several students in my class this year who just cannot seem to walk the right way in line. I spent many times modeling how to walk in the hallway, have taken them separately to practice how to walk in the hallway, have given rewards for those who are walking well, have taken recess away because of hallway behavior, etc. I've also made these students walk alone instead but then a teacher usually brings them back because they were messing up on their own too. I'm at a loss on what to do next. Going to LOSE MY MIND. These boys have a hard day all day but other people on commenting on how bad the class is in the hallway and it's just these 3-4 boys that just don't seem to get it. Thanks for any advice!

MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-09-2017, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What grade Mrs.Wok? If other teachers are commenting I think this issue is something worth working on in order to stop the chatter about your class and possibly straighten their behavior up in class. It sounds as of the boys are playing off each other so I would have them each line up with other classes. Split the clown group up. Can you get other teachers to take each boy and you keep one ?
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 11-09-2017, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is first. They're not just chatting. They are incredibly disruptive - jumping up and touching things on the wall, skipping steps at the end of the stairwelll, throwing their lunchbox in the air, making weird sounds with their mouth, etc. I have so many impulsive boys in my class this year. I have had them line up with other classes and that does work but they miss about 10 minutes of class time because they are waiting for that class. It is so frustrating. But thank you for responding!
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-09-2017, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I send my goofballs to 4th grade. The kid can sit there ,miss class and be dumbfounded all day for all I care. Four boys mucking up my classroom time means I get out my big bag of tricks. Lost class time is worth it to me and in time,those boys would know I meant business.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Line Ideas
Old 11-10-2017, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It won't work on stairs, but heavy stuff to carry might stop the jumping and touching things on the walls.

Obviously separate them in line, but you're probably already doing that.

Also, are there any sort of marks on the floor in your hallways, that could be used as a guide to a straight line?

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 11-10-2017, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'd make one walk directly infront of you, even hand hold if they're jumping on the stairs. One be the leader of the boys line, one be the end of the boys line, and the second worst offender be in the middle of the girls line. That way they can't bother each other.

Sbkangas5

Old 11-10-2017, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

First grade? I'd do what I do with my kinders and make them hold my hand. "If you're going to act like preschoolers in line I'm going to treat you like preschoolers". I know you only have two hands, but sometimes doing it with one or two gets the message to everyone.

I had that class a few years ago. We spent all year practicing how to walk in line. It was so frustrating!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote