Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

McTeacher Night

>

Haley23

McTeacher Night
Old 11-09-2017, 06:51 PM

What is your opinion of this fundraiser? If you're not familiar, teachers go "work" (volunteer- but you do actually make food, run the register, etc.) at McDonald's for the night and then the school gets part of the profits.

My school has been doing this for several years now. I signed up my first year because I was a new employee and felt more pressure to "look good."
I also was kind of secretly hoping "behind the scenes" would be really gross and it would make me never want fast food again (unfortunately that part didn't pan out ).

I didn't think much of it, but I remember a teacher friend from another school was absolutely horrified when I told her about it. She went on this huge rant about how it led to society's poor view of teachers, how it was so disrespectful to ask teachers to "work" at McDonald's, etc. She was even a little irritated with me that I agreed to do it!

This year, we have a new P and PTO has set this up for a Friday night . Understandably, only a couple of teachers (of 50 something) have signed up. We keep getting emails about how it's only a small amount of our time, it's for the children, PTO works so hard for us, etc. etc.

I don't even have plans for that night, but as things in education continue to get worse, I'm starting to see my friend's perspective a little bit better. I'm not feeling very respected as a professional lately and I'm already asked to do a lot of uncompensated work on my own time. That sure doesn't make me want to go work at McDonald's "for the children."

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Mcdonalds night
Old 11-09-2017, 06:55 PM

My school has it every year. I never volunteered. You know why? The PTO never asked us if this was something we wanted to do. They just set it up and expected us to go.

Plus, it didn't start until 5:00 pm. I usually left school at 3:30 and didn't want to stick around for another hour and a half.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-09-2017, 06:55 PM

I think teachers do many things starting out that later they realize is definitely over the top of what we should do. I think teachers with young kids continue to do those things, because they want to make the kids happy. Then, when the kids get older they start to see how many of those things are either unnecessary, a huge imposition, or really undermine our basic rights.

I wouldn't work at McDonalds and not because it is beneath me. I do enough already just running an organized classroom.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 11-09-2017, 06:58 PM

I worked at McDonald's in high school. I'd rather not revisit those dark days.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-09-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
My school has it every year. I never volunteered. You know why? The PTO never asked us if this was something we wanted to do. They just set it up and expected us to go.
It's the same for us. My P told some of us after the first year that McDonald's keeps so much of the money that it wasn't worth it for us at all, so it makes no sense that PTO even keeps doing it. If I'm remembering correctly we'd gotten something like $175 dollars . I could understand making the sacrifice if it was truly going to have a huge impact on the school, but what are we going to do with $175? Buy 2.5 textbooks?

1956BD

My school
Old 11-09-2017, 07:05 PM

has restaurant nights. The students and parents show up to support the fact that our school receives a percentage of the profits that night. However, our teachers do not work there for evening.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 11-09-2017, 07:08 PM

My school did it last year and we had a blast! We would definitely do it again. Students loved it, it was awesome for building on our community relationships, and we made some money. Our admin asked us what we thought before setting it up.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-09-2017, 07:16 PM

How terrible to sell junk food to families under the guise of the teacher served it. My school dropped the idea after a few years of very few teachers "doing it for the kids." "Doing it for the kids" is why the teachers union and the teacher's salary is weak in so many areas.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Oh, come on!
Old 11-09-2017, 07:30 PM

Our teachers work at Sonic twice a year. We have a great time, and the kids love it too. We have raised a couple of thousand dollars each time we have done it, and have been able to help the PTO purchase new playground equipment, document cameras for the classroom, as well as many other things. Our principals work there too, so it's not just the teachers. No one has to do it if they don't want to. It's only an hour, and it's fun.
It never occurred to me that it would weaken the union. We just had a lot of fun and made money that helped our school.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-09-2017, 07:38 PM

I have never heard of this, thank goodness. I would not be down.

My school does as 1956 said:

Quote:
The students and parents show up to support the fact that our school receives a percentage of the profits that night. However, our teachers do not work there for evening.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-09-2017, 07:45 PM

Weve done this for the past few years. I flat out refuse to participate (and I participate in quite a few after school activities). I just disagree with it for any number of reasons.

Our P and PTO never ask us if we want to do anything. Its just assumed well sign up and participate in after events.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 11-09-2017, 09:18 PM

We did something different at Burger King. We collected the receipts and BK gave us a % of the total. Each teacher would get a night or two a year (we let the new teachers have first dibs on 2 nights). We got students to come and help collect - they loved it. We collected both inside at out at the drive-thru. Whatever BK sent for that night went into our classroom account. It was an easy way to make some $$$ for supplies.
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 11-09-2017, 10:54 PM

Our school does it every year and it's a BLAST! We raise a lot of money and each grade level has a tip jar - the grade level with the highest amount wins a pajama day. The kids absolutely LOVE seeing us. I'm sure the McDonald's people aren't thrilled with it as it's crazy in there but it's one night. We sign up for an hour slot.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

I went to University and got a degree
Old 11-10-2017, 12:14 AM

To make sure I never had to work in fast food. No way would I participate in this.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

bhiteacher

McDonald's Night
Old 11-10-2017, 12:24 AM

I did it twice to help raise money for trips to Washington D.C. I had to do it because I was a chaperone on the trips. I had to cook burgers on the grill and put condiments on the sandwiches. I learned a lot from the experiences and it was a great bonding experience for us. It also made me realize how hard fast food workers' jobs are too.
bhiteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 11-10-2017, 05:02 AM

It is not done like this where I live. Schools have restaurant nights and the school gets a percentage of the sales that night during a set time. I honestly don't think many teachers in my school would work in a fast food restaurant. If the PTA plans it then they should be the ones working.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 11-10-2017, 05:20 AM

I had never heard of this until my cousin, who teaching on Long Island, posted a picture of her working at McDonalds for the school fundraiser.

I would not join this fundraiser.

Like others have said, we have a restaurant night, where I local restaurant will donate a certain % of the sales to the school. Teachers do not have to work. I usually go with my family and order a meal. I get to enjoy it just like all the other families from the school. The restaurant is a small, family owned restaurant that has set up a foundation to help the community. The restaurant offers two choices: $6 and $8 and the school gets 30%.

Our big fundraiser each year is a fun fair at the school. We usually make about 6K (our school population is under 300!) on this event and the students get a wonderful experience with games, bounce house, etc.

Last edited by choppie70; 11-10-2017 at 05:37 AM..
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 11-10-2017, 07:09 AM

Our school used to participate.

I never volunteered because I didn't want to promote fast food to my students. (In reality I understand that kids LOVE McD's and I'm not going to change that opinion )
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

4abue

Old 11-10-2017, 07:56 AM

Our school did this one year. We were disappointed with the profit.
4abue is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 11-10-2017, 08:28 AM

It seems like a job for parents, not teachers. And actually doing food prep? That's weird. Don't you have to be trained for it? And have a health card?

But... having said that...
My school does something similar with a local pizza place. Differences are:

1. We serve it to the tables, and clean tables and fold pizza boxes. We don't go behind the counter or touch the food.

2. The restaurant gives each teacher that works a card that allows for a fifty percent discount on all pizzas for the year.

My sons will kill me if I didn't go and get the discount card! So I've done it for the past fourteen years. Almost all the teachers, admin, office staff sign up to work. Tons of students and their families come out for pizza. They love seeing their teachers out in the "real world". It's complete chaos, but it's fun. I sure wouldn't do it if it was just a few teachers though. It wouldn't be fun if we weren't all in it together. And of course the school gets a percentage of he sales for that night.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 11-10-2017, 12:27 PM

We did it two years ago. It was a huge hit with parents and kids. They loved seeing the staff working there outside of school. We had great staff participation and everyone only worked for 90 minutes or so. I didn't see anything wrong with it. My being there doesn't lessen my professionalism or start the kids on a dangerous fast food addiction. It was a good time for the families and and easy fundraiser for our school.
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 11-10-2017, 12:58 PM

I'm really surprised teachers/volunteers are allowed anywhere near the food prep. When I worked in a daycare setting I had to get a food handlers certificate to even touch any food in the kitchen.

My school did similar fundraisers but it was the parents and kids who did the work, usually serving or bussing the tables.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote
ffoodwrk

ffoodwrk

We do something similar
Old 11-10-2017, 01:30 PM

Our small town has an ice cream/burger joint. For 6 weeks, one grade level "works" one night. We basically deliver the food to the families and visit with them. The restaurant donates a percent of sales. This year, we had $1000 donated to our school. For our tiny school and town, it is an awesome event.

travelingfar

McDonald's Fundraiser
Old 11-10-2017, 02:01 PM

Our school never had a McDonald's fundraiser, but we did have ones at Marble Slab Creamery, a local pizza place and other restaurants. Some teachers showed up and worked those evenings, but I always opted out. I worked hard all week and didn't feel like putting in more time at a restaurant on a Friday night.

There are other ways that the PTA can raise money that do not involve putting teachers to work at a restaurant.

Last edited by travelingfar; 11-10-2017 at 02:37 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 11-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Many teachers at my school, including the principal, and myself, love McTeacher night. Its a big hit with the kids, and gets us a little money. It gives the kids a chance to see us outside of the school, which they like. And its fun to work at McDonalds, making fries or ice cream or doing cookies or making hamburgers. The kids think its amazing that theit teachers made their food.
Its good for our school spirit!
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Welp...
Old 11-10-2017, 04:16 PM

At my DD elementary school, it was second only to the school fair in popularity and amount of money made.

I think they had it 5 times a year. The place was swamped during dinner rush.

I think all the teachers did was hand out drive through orders or give the complete orders on trays.

Though the principal could run the register during dinner rush.

*Not showing up once, was like not showing up to the school fair. Not worth the grief.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

patch41

McDonalds
Old 11-10-2017, 05:26 PM

Wow. I can't believe so many of you have heard of/ done this! I have never heard of this before.

I'm also glad this isn't a thing where I live. It doesn't sound like something I would want to do.

Our PTO does a few fundraisers a year that require nothing of the teachers. They seem to make more than enough to get by.
patch41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Update
Old 11-10-2017, 06:20 PM

I looked at the sign up sheet before I left work today (fundraiser is tonight) and it looks like only one teacher fell for the guilt trip. The last hour will just be her and the principal. I suspect we'll be hearing about this next week...

linda2671

Our PTO does a lot for our school.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:36 AM

This is one way that we can help them make a lot of money. It's also good for public relations. We only have to give one hour two times a year, and we don't have to do it if we don't want to. There is no guilt trip. I guess for me, I would rather work an hour at Sonic with my friends and colleagues, visiting with parents and giving my first graders smiles and hugs, than sit at home and watch TV.
When I first started teaching, 25 years ago, teachers were required to be members of the PTO, and we were required to go to every meeting. We had to participate in all fund raisers and all PTO activities. It was written into our contracts. Things have changed a lot since then.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote