Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Clothing question

>

knitting987!

Clothing question
Old 11-10-2017, 12:39 PM

Do you think dress down Friday is for subs as well in the hs setting. I always wonder. Most days I still dress up to be on the safe side.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 11-10-2017, 12:53 PM

I think whatever is acceptable for the regular staff is acceptable for subs. But I never think it's a bad idea to dress for a standard day. You want them to always see you in a professional light.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-10-2017, 01:58 PM

I would ask, but in our building subs may participate in this type of incentive. If you wish to get hired in full time I would pay attention to the attitudes about this.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

subbing
Old 11-10-2017, 02:07 PM

Since I retired and began subbing 4 years ago, almost everyone seems to be casual EVERY day of the week. I don't dress up, but feel that I'm adult/teacher appropriate, even when I wear jeans. Some of the really young teachers who are height challenged get taken for a student.
If you are pursuing a full time position, dress like that is your goal.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-10-2017, 05:12 PM

I think that depends on a few factors.

If it's a school that you're at regularly and you know for a fact that Friday is "jeans day," then I think it's appropriate to participate. If you're not 100% sure and are just assuming that most schools do this, I wouldn't take the chance.

If the teachers generally wear jeans a school T shirt on Friday (that's been the case in buildings I've been in), I would personally only wear jeans if you have a school shirt to wear with them. In my previous building, we actually weren't allowed to wear the jeans unless we were wearing "spirit wear" also.

In my current building my P doesn't care about jeans on any day as long as we look "put together." My previous P was a HUGE stickler about dressing very nicely (if the district let her, I'm certain she would have tried to make us wear suits). She only let us wear jeans on Fridays with spirit wear because the contract actually said staff could wear jeans on Fridays. I'm certain that if she were looking at subs as potential full time teachers, she would notice someone who dressed really nicely, even on Fridays.

I also agree with the pp that it depends on what your end goal is. If you're trying to get your foot in the door for a full time position, I'd dress very nicely every day. You never know what might make an impression on someone. If you plan on remaining a sub, I think you can be a little more relaxed.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 11-10-2017, 06:38 PM

I agree with pp. I think it depends on a lot of factors. What do the other subs wear?
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-10-2017, 07:06 PM

I wouldn't think twice about what a sub was wearing, provided it wasn't all hoochie like.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 11-11-2017, 05:23 AM

I think that would be fine. We only wear jeans on Fridays, but the rest of the days I am not really super dressed up, but am more than others. I see people wearing things that make them look like they came from the gym and I really don't like that. I wear loose printed pull over tops out of cotton knit or a poly type material (I hate button down shirts and how the sleeves aren't long enough on me or pull in the shoulders or elbows when I move). I wear different color twill/cotton/denim with some spandex in them type pants and my danskos. 90% of my clothes probably come from Kohl's or Penny's since that is what we have in town I really like the Vera Wang tops and the Croft and Barrow tops that look like the JM Collection from Macy's.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 11-15-2017, 05:33 PM

One school I work at I could wear anything. But I do dress nice. The other school makes you dress up. So I do. Donít like the forced aspect.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote