Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Rude people

>

twin2

Rude people
Old 11-10-2017, 11:14 AM

I've decided to just shut up. I'm out with my husband and father in law. I have tried to say something several times but keep getting interrupted. My husband has realized I'm upset and keeps saying things, which I won't respond... "I'm thirsty, aren't you, (my name)", "Jon (our son) can do the same, huh (my name). We had our awkward one minute of silence now the two of them are talking again like nothing happened. I'm sure when I get home my husband will ask me why I got mad or say that I shouldn't act that way. I'm not acting any kind of way. I'm not puffed up. I'm just letting them talk.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

tryingtoteach

Old 11-10-2017, 11:18 AM

That happens with my husband. We both have a lot to say. 🤔 sorry it is happening today.
tryingtoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Yep.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:32 AM

My husband and FIL are just like that. When my SILs are present I don't even bother engaging most of the time. They grew up in a household where it was acceptable to interrupt or get louder so you can be the center of attention. I grew up totally differently.

When my husband asks why I was so quiet after an event, I tell him the truth. There is no place for me in 99% of the conversations, and while they're all busy visiting I'm usually outside watching my children, anyway.

Later, if your husband brings it up, I'd be 100% honest. And, no, he doesn't get to tell you not to act a certain way. That's ridiculous.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-10-2017, 11:36 AM

I am always honest about this issue. As a matter of fact my husband just realized and I "explained". Not a bit of remorse. No apologies. Not much talking now.

WestCoastTch

Sorry
Old 11-10-2017, 01:23 PM

That would hurt my feelings. I'm sorry your day is going this way.

WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-10-2017, 01:30 PM

It usually makes me angry but after 30+ years I am used to it. It's like a sickness, like they can't help themselves. They claim they don't even realize they are doing it, I am exaggerating, or that it doesn't happen at all.

fish2

Old 11-10-2017, 03:01 PM

At least it's just conversation. My MIL acted like I didn't exist most of the time. Once, when I was 8.5 months pregnant with #3 we were at their house for breakfast because DH's sisters and their families were there for 4th of July. We walked in with our 2 kids (4 and 3). MIL fixed plates for DH, DD, and DS. Yep, she left me out. DD, who was 4 at the time, got wide-eyed at that slight. She announced, in a LOUD voice, "Don't worry mama, I'll share mine with you!" SIL's were astonished. It just rolled off my back, if she got a kick out of that then she was a small person. I never gave her the satisfaction of any reaction at all. That made her mad, I'm sure. Not a fight I was going to have.
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 11-10-2017, 03:31 PM

My husband son are strong talkers. The can dominate a conversation so I take preemptive strikes. For example, when we have a family dinner I make sure to put them at opposite ends of the table so everyone else has a chance to add to the convo. Myself? I have learned to be very assertive and just out talk them. Louder is better. Works for me and everyone is happy!
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 11-10-2017, 03:33 PM

My DH and both DS's do this to me. They talk about sports. Blah! Blah! Blah! I have talked to them about this before. Usually my older DS will notice and change the subject. DH and younger DS are oblivious! Just happened last night. I know I interrupt sometimes with my friends. I am trying to watch myself.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Did you ever?
Old 11-10-2017, 04:11 PM

Did you ever simply start talking and talk over your DH? You could politely say "It seems that you didn't notice I was talking, DH. Not a big deal but you I know you won't want to be rude." I'm getting crabby in my old age!

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

not exactly the same...
Old 11-10-2017, 07:33 PM

but my MIL does this....I'll be talking with her, a grandchild interrupts, and instead of giving the kid the hand or saying, "just a minute", or best yet, "i'm talking with someone; don't interrupt", she will pay attention to the kid. argh! rude.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote