Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

New migraine sufferer here

>

Katluv

New migraine sufferer here
Old 11-10-2017, 04:53 PM

I have been dealing with a migraine for the second straight day. Looking for tips and tricks to be more comfortable and get over it. OTC meds, etc. This is not fun. 😔

Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Migraines
Old 11-10-2017, 05:04 PM

Make sure you are hydrated. I use to take Excedrin Migraine. Now I am on prescription migraine medications. If you can rest in quiet darkness with cold packs can some time help. Keeping a journal of your headaches:weather, stress level, foods eaten, period can help with finding triggers.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

GLNUT

Ice
Old 11-10-2017, 05:11 PM

I ice my neck when I have a migraine. It helps me.
GLNUT is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 11-10-2017, 05:26 PM

I drink caffeine and take Excedrin migraine as soon as I feel a symptom. Light can make migraines worse, so sit in a dark room. Ice on the neck or forehead also helps. I hope you feel better.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 11-10-2017, 05:37 PM

Some questions:
What OTC meds have you taken so far? and when did you take it? Where in your head in the headache?

Some advice: drink a lot of water; lie down in a dark, quiet room with an ice pack on your head; get someone (or do it yourself) to massage your feet; press on your temples, the small muscles at the base of your skull behind your ears and your jaw. If you have access to peppermint oil, put some on your wrists and inhale the scent. Have a cup of tea with caffeine in it.

I hope you feel better soon. Migraines are the worst.

If you haven't taken Excedrin Migraine, that's the one that takes it away for me. It also makes me a motor mouth with very little filter so it's not one I take lightly.

GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Migraine
Old 11-10-2017, 06:13 PM

Good Advice already given. I do many if the same:
- water, water, water
- Tylenol, have even taken Tylenol PM to
help me sleep
- cold pack on back of neck
- nap in cool, dark room

Hope you feel better soon. Sometimes the 'after headache' can be almost as bad as the actual migraine but without the light and sound sensitivity, especially if the migraine lasted a couple days.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Migraine
Old 11-10-2017, 06:37 PM

Ugh. My sympathies. Migraines are horrible. I had them in my early twenties and then was seemingly cured for several years and now they've come back with a vengeance. So I'm with you. Some of my suggestions-

- caffine
- excedrin migraine. Just be careful bc while for me this is a miracle drug it's loaded with caffeine so it will keep you up if taken late in the day
- nap
- stay away from lights, noises, etc.
- hydrate

Be sure that as soon as you feel sYmptoms coming on you try to do something to help it. If you wait til it's really bad even the meds often won't help. Good luck!

Ps.... I've found regular Excercise does help keep them at bay. If I flake out on the gym all week I tend to get a migraine. Weird I know.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

Well, I
Old 11-10-2017, 08:42 PM

Had the headache in my left eye all day yesterday when this first started. Nothing like dealing with 10 year olds all day when you feel like crud. Today I am nauseous and sensitive to light. I have napped several times. I had a heating pad on my neck but just switched to ice since several of you posted I should do that.

We had dinner plans with friends tonight and it sucked. Good thing we called it an early night.

I am going to buy Excedrin Migraine tomorrow. I have been taking some Bayer Back and Body that we have in the cupboard. It helps a little but not enough.

If I would have had to teach today it would have been awful! 👎🏻
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 11-10-2017, 09:49 PM

This is what I do when I feel one coming on, which is rare for me now because once I started exercising daily the migraines have stopped for the most part.

Do you get visual disturbances first? That is when I take this combo, before I start having the pain and nausea/vomiting.
1 Excedrin Migraine
2 XS Tylenol
1 antihistamine (I used to use Benadryl but found Claritan also works, without the drowsiness)
If you live near a beach I have found the salt air is also EXTREMELY helpful at relieving the pain and other symptoms!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 11-11-2017, 08:28 PM

I second the peppermint oil. I was out of my RX once and it helped a lot. I see a lot of posters recommended Excedrin, but that upsets my stomach due to the aspirin (just an FYI). Hydration is very important. Coconut water has helped me before - it's like a natural Gatorade without all the additional sugar or artificial colors. Lay in a dark, quiet room for sure. Sometimes a Coca Cola helps me feel better as well.

I'm so sorry you're suffering. Have you called a dr.? There are a lot of options for prescription relief (at least for the next time you suffer one).

puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

JackandSally

Old 11-17-2017, 10:24 AM

I take amitryptine as a preventive.
JackandSally is offline   Reply With Quote