Retired Teachers

Tell everyone about your name

>

1956BD

Tell everyone about your name
Old 11-10-2017, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

You do not need to reveal you name.

Tell about who named you, who you are named after, if it is a common name or unique, do all your siblings have names that start with the same letter....

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Old 11-10-2017, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My given name starts with the letter B.

It is not common, but not unknown or unique either. You just don't meet someone with my name often.

My mother named me and my father named my sister.

I was given the same name as someone my mother knew. It was the name of a girl who was the daughter of my grandmother's hairdresser. The hair dresser fixed my grandmother's hair at her own home and my mother went along sometimes and got to play with the little girl who became my namesake.

My sister and I have similar middle names. They start with different letters but the rest of the letters are the same. So our middle names rhyme.

My aunt (Dad's sister) and uncle did not like my first name. So they called me BD. BD is really the only nick name of sorts I have ever had.

LAST NAME

After my divorce my boys did not want me to change my last name. They wanted me to have the same last name as them. So I kept that name until my youngest graduated from high school. Then I legally changed back to my maiden name. I had remarried at that point but my "new" husband was okay with me keeping my Dad's last name. I really wanted to keep his name as he was the only son, so it will not continue.

Okay, your turn.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 11-10-2017, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was named for my mom's best friend whom she met shortly after she and my dad had moved from Baltimore to Daytona. I have an older brother whose name also began with N, but that wasn't intentional. My younger brother's name begins with P.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

My name
Old 11-10-2017, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was named by my mother. She wanted my name to be similar to hers but not exactly the same. Our names each start with different letters but the ending letters rhyme because they are the same. My brother's name starts the same as our father's but ends differently.
Ruby tunes is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 11-10-2017, 10:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My name is fairly common among my age group. There was almost always another with my name in my classes at school. I'm not named after anyone, my mom just liked the it

My last name is not difficult but it is uncommon and almost no one pronounces it correctly the first time.

PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 11-10-2017, 11:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My parents couldn't agree on my name when I turned out to be a girl. I was supposed to be "David." They finally agreed on my name several days after I was born. I'm named after both of my grandmothers.

My name is really quite standard, but whenever I tell this story I get really interesting "my name would have been Ethel Belmina" feedback!
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-11-2017, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Lisa is not a common name among my age group, but it did become common during the 80s. My middle name is Jane, after an eccentric aunt, but when I got married I used my maiden name instead of my middle name, and took my husband's last name.

When I was 9, I was confirmed. I chose "Theresa" as my confirmation name, because it rhymes with "Lisa". When I taught confirmation classes to high school kids in later life, I used to tell kids that story as an example of "how not to choose a confirmation name."
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

My name
Old 11-11-2017, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Begins with a C, is a common Irish name, but only has one l. (Figured it out yet?)

My mom told me it was because my dad didn't like long names.

Later in life I thought maybe he didn't know how to spell it, except both his parents were straight from Ireland.

My middle name is Claire and I was named after my mom's favorite cousin.

Because of the weird spelling of my first name, I made sure my DDs' names were spelled normally. (Do you know how many variations of Megan there are?!!)
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 11-11-2017, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I never liked my first name as a child, but my husband loved it and so....I reluctantly agreed to name our DD the same name. My DD and her DH love the name too and so now my granddaughter has the same name.....Yikes....there are three of us now! I sure hope they don't start referring to me as "the old _____"
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 11-11-2017, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My mom almost called me Cindy. Whenever anyone gets my name wrong that is what they call me. My name was not very popular at that time. It is spelled differently as well. I have always liked my name. Maiden name is very different and no one could spell it or say it.

crazy4catz is online now   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 11-11-2017, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My father didn't want any of his sons named after him. He felt it would cause difficulty with any other sons. So none of the first three, who were all boys, were named after him, although they did have middle names that were family names.

When I came along (girl), my father was gone on a business trip. Mom had to fill out the paperwork, and she made my middle name be the feminized version of his name....Roberta. I grew up hating that name, but now I'm proud of it.
When asked, I always say "Roberta, named after my father" which must confuse some people who aren't quick on their feet.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Love these stories
Old 11-11-2017, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thank you for sharing.

jjwires

Old 11-11-2017, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My father named me after a movie star! Mom selected my middle name & that's what family & good friends always called me. My first name & my brother's name begin with M.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 11-11-2017, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My parents named me with a short name that had no nickname (or so they thought) Lynn. My uncle called me Lynnie from the first time he saw me as a baby until he passed away at age 95(almost 60 years).
Lynnteach2 is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

name
Old 11-12-2017, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I was supposedly named after my dad's bosses daughter. Although there was a popular movie star with the same name. Because I was blonde kids teased me about my name. Always wanted to change it. My name rhymes with my older sisters.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

3togo

My name
Old 11-12-2017, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Well, I have the same first name as both of my grandmothers, so I guess you could say I was named after them ... except that I have 2 older sisters! I would think one of them would have gotten the name. I never really liked my name, but it was popular back in the day. In grade 4, there were 3 of us with the same name, and it was our teacherís name too!
3togo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 11-15-2017, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My parents liked my name. My middle name is after a great-aunt who died.. she had a really hard life and was special to my grandma.

When I have children.. we are going to name a girl Grace Tess after .. the grace of God and Tess after my husbands nan.
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

My name
Old 11-18-2017, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My parents could/would never explain to me why they chose my name. It did not exist in our family tree and I have studied my ancestry from both sides. They gave me a formal name that came with a typical nickname, which was common growing up in the 50s & 60s. It was one of those nicknames ending with the long e sound (ie Kathy, Sally, Betty, Suzy, etc) My parents taught me to spell my name ending with an i which was different than anyone else with my name................except a popular singer of that decade. I always suspected my mother picked my name because of that singer.... and my middle name???? Who knows?? It could have come from a popular actress of that decade (last name STORM). Like my mother my children's names were mostly not family names, but names we liked. My son does have his great grandfather's name as his middle name. My daughter gave her first child a popular first name, but chose her grandmother's name for the middle name.
*BTW: My PT name came from my dogs Lulu and Belle. But I also had a great grandmother named LuBelle, which was my inspiration for naming the doggies. It's all very interesting.
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Clark Kent
Old 11-18-2017, 10:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Ok, I think I take the cake. My parents named my brother after Clark Gable. Bad idea when your last name is Kent. I grew up superwoman, super chick, you name it. Then when I got married (and I kid you not) my sister-in-law was named Lois!!
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote