Demo lesson K

>

caterina1234

caterina1234

Demo lesson K
Old 11-15-2017, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I have to do a demo lesson for a K class with a large percentage of ENL students. It has to be a an ELA lesson and they said they are currently working on beginning sounds, lowercase letters and rhyming words. No specifics of what letters they have already covered. I only have 15 minutes. Any ideas??

Jerebo

Old 11-16-2017, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds like you should do a phonemic awareness lesson at the carpet. Review all letter sounds with picture cards. For beginning sounds, say a few words and ask them to identify the beginning sound. What are beginning sounds? Tell them the very first sound that comes out of your mouth. Emphasis the beginning sound by repeating it before saying the complete word for instance:

You: Say 'a-a-Apple'
Students: 'a-a-apple'
You: What is the beginning sound?
Students: /a

For rhyming, explain the beginning sounds are different but the ending sounds are the same. You can do a thumbs up/down or stand up/sit down or open your eyes/close your eyes. Say two words (rhyming or not) and they do the rest. Great for informal assessment because of they are struggling, you can switch to just rhyming words only.
Jerebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-17-2017, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You could do a pocket chart sort, either with rhyming or beginning sounds. Do some together, and then hand each child a card and have them come up and put it in the right spot. Then go over them all to check.

The other one my kids love is puzzle partners. I have some two piece puzzles for rhyming and beginning sounds. I hand out all of the pieces and then they have to find their partner and sit together when they find them. What's so nice is it's self checking! Then we go around and the partners tell us their rhyme or sound.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote