Help

BusyBoard

Quitting midyear

>

arback

Quitting midyear
Old 11-23-2017, 12:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Would you quit midyear if you found another job that you rather do? I am done with teaching (I am 100% positive) and really do not want to wait until the end of the year. I feel bad about leaving the kids midyear and leaving the principal with the task of having to fill a position midyear, but I really do not think I can teach until June. If I push through I know I will be completely miserable at work and at home as well. However, thatís not my kidsí fault. Any advice would be welcome.

arback is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Few Would Notice
Old 11-23-2017, 01:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

From what I've seen, when a teacher leaves mid-year, no one really seems to notice nor care. If the principal was the least bit concerned about your leaving he/she would have been more supportive to begin with. The kids will get over your absence in a day or two and some won't have a clue. Congratulations!
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Leaving Midyear
Old 11-23-2017, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It sounds like you are ready to leave teaching, and resigning midyear is what you want to do. It shouldn't be a problem if you give at least a month's notice and meet with your replacement before you leave.

Best wishes in your new job.

Last edited by travelingfar; 11-23-2017 at 09:32 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNFriend

Agree
Old 11-23-2017, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

With enough notice Iím sure itíll be fine. If youíre miserable in your job, that negativity will likely transfer into your classroom and to your colleagues. Why make everyone else suffer. Cut your losses and move on. Good luck in your new job.
TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

Old 11-23-2017, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Kids will not be happy with a miserable teacher. I know because I was one and my kids were miserable. However, they do need closure and transparency - especially if you're in a depressed area with low stability in homes. Leave guilt-free, but make some sort of closure with them.

As far as the principal finding someone else - your leaving would be a moment of opportunity for someone who may have graduated mid-year or might not have gotten a job when they were hiring for this school year!

Best wishes!

PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

If I knew I was done..
Old 11-23-2017, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

like stick a fork in it done and had a dream job waiting, I think I'd go for it. It used to be schools were like families and you worked at the same 1 all of your life. Times have changed. I do not think we owe admin anything unless they are good admin. (Not as common as in the past) If yours was good, you probably would not consider leaving mid yr. Kids are very flexible for the most part. I'd try to have closure and leave midyear in your situation. Guilt free! Enjoy life! It is short!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 11-23-2017, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would use my Christmas break and then leave at the end of the first semester. That way a new teacher would have an easier time with grading and it seems like a nice, natural break. If someone was going on maternity leave, they might leave mid-year and their students would be fine, so it's been done before.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
IN2OK

IN2OK

What if the new job does not work out?
Old 11-23-2017, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a number of friends and contacts, who took positions and shown a door 6 weeks later. It happens often in the business and nonprofit sectors. I am looking at a more challenging position, but I will wait until after I am done with the year. Why? Because if the economy goes south, I can always teach.