Help! New student who doesn't speak English! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Help! New student who doesn't speak English!

>

cdr18

Help! New student who doesn't speak English!
Old 11-27-2017, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need some help on what to do with a student who only speaks Arabic. This is 3rd grade. Our school is very limited on resources for our ESL population so I need to be creative!

Any websites that help the translation? Websites for ESL learners?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

cdr18 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Arabic
Old 11-27-2017, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had the exact situation a few years ago. We put him on Rosetta Stone a few mornings a week, for an hour each day. It was awesome! That little boy was like a sponge! He came to me in Oct. speaking Arabic. He took the state test in May and scored proficient!!

I don't know what Rosetta Stone costs, but it's worth checking into. Maybe you can get a grant if the school won't buy it.

You can get Google Translate (free) on your phone or an iPad (if your school has them) for him to use for daily conversation as well.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Duolingo
Old 11-27-2017, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Duolingo is free- They have Online through browser, iOS, Android, and Windows phone versions. I've used it to brush up a couple of languages. It includes listening, speaking, reading, and writing. I've been very pleased with the product.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
IN2OK

IN2OK

Here are my suggestions:
Old 11-27-2017, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1. Google Translator: Let Google be your friend.
2. Picture Dictionary: Encourage him to write down words and draw pictures in a picture dictionary.
3. Alternative Assignments: I allow my ESL newcomers (1st semester) to make a poster about a subject; i.e. the four seasons. Tell about the four seasons in a drawing.
4. Bribe with Chocolate: He will be a bit worried about his English. Every time I see my students speak English to a classmate, I praise them, and give them chocolate when they speak to certain adults - the principal.

Loveslabs

Book
Old 11-27-2017, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When my children were little they had picture books similar to this.

https://usborne.com/browse-books/cat...t-picture-abc/

The pictures included everything from clothing to forms of transportation. My ELL students loved to sit with my regular students and read through this book. It eventually fell apart so I laminated each page!

I also found flash cards with words and pictures that used to belong in an old kindergarten reading series. Maybe ask around to see if anyone has things like these.

Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 11-27-2017, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Does your student know our alphabet system yet? If so, you might try putting lots of labels on objects in the classroom. Window, door, chair, etc.

A picture schedule might be helpful, with clocks showing the time (maybe digital clocks).

If you msg me your email, I can send you some sheets that a friend uses to teach body part and similar vocabulary to ESL students.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

Old 11-28-2017, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A lot of people have helped with resources, so I'm going to give a different angle of things that I have used with ESL learners.

Speak with your hands a lot and model "out loud" what you want. Buddy him up for tasks that have more complex directions. Smile when you speak. Use pictures and labels and colors.

Simple words, animals, polite phrases, and colors will likely be some of the first English things he will learn. So use those to simplify directions if you can.
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote