Help

BusyBoard

Pre-Paid Cellphone

>

seenthelight

Pre-Paid Cellphone
Old 11-27-2017, 10:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you have prepaid cellphones? If you do, and it isnít too personal a question, how much do you pay and which one do you have?

I do not give my cell number to parents...EVER. However, itís getting to the point that I donít even want my coworkers or P to have it. I need to set some boundaries in order to maintain my home/work balance.

My biggest concern is text messages. I rarely text coworkers as I do not want to interrupt their family time unless itís important, but they text me a lot as does my boss. I was reading that you are charged for incoming texts as well as outgoing texts so I question whether having a prepaid phone would even work. I can control how much I text, but I canít control how much they text, hence wanting a separate line. I can just see myself running out of minutes all the time because of incoming text messages.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 11-28-2017, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a prepaid phone from Verizon with a $40 per month plan. The plan has unlimited talk and text with some data also - not sure how much, not a lot - I don't use much data.
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-28-2017, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My entire family has tracfone now, which is a prepaid phone plan. We all have data and use it at different rates, but none of us rely on phones for our data. We generally pay about $35 every 3 months. Sometimes one of us buys extra texts ($5) or data ($10). It definitely has changed what we pay for phone service.

I think your bigger problem is the texting from work. If my p texted me, I would change my number. We still use email and I sure hope that it stays that way. I am pretty careful not to use my phone for too much work stuff. I don't text my p. I do text a couple of coworkers, but it is more for personal stuff than for work. Every once in a while we do a work text, but not more than one or 2 back and forths. I would not have a problem telling work to take my phone number off the text loop because I pay for texts (whether I did or not). I don't want to be that accessible to anyone.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-28-2017, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Itís a big deal at our school. P has to be able to reach us. Kind of a double edged sword. We shouldnít have our phones out, but best not miss a text. $35/3 months sounds good. I try to keep work stuff off my phone too, and suddenly realized boss is still work stuff. Iíll have to look into tracphone.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

Old 11-28-2017, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I actually use a prepaid as my primary phone. It's worked really well. I've not tried using a separate one for work. My teammates and principals have my phone # and it's pretty much a requirement. But I never give it to parents; I only email or use my class phone.

Anyway, as far as plans I have a lot of experience.

I used AT&T's GoPhone for awhile: it was $30/month for unlimited talk and text, but no data, group messaging, or pictures. $35/month gets you 5mb of data as well. You could also put $30 on your phone and every day you used it, it would cost you $2, but if you didn't use it, it would cost you nothing.

I now use Verizon because of coverage issues. $30/month for a flip phone (basic phone) plan. Talk, text, no data but you can send group messages and pictures. My sister has a smartphone and uses the $40/month plan and has more than enough data.

PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

Cloud99

Might Be a Problem
Old 11-30-2017, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have used my cell at work. I was working with a violent child and would text for help or to find out how a certain situation should be handled.

Later I spoke with a special education teacher left the district they wiped her phone - she was using it to answer school emails and the district terms of use allowed them to do that.

She told me that in some circumstances the school/courts can compel you to share the information on your phone.

I know this doesn't help you, I just wanted to make people aware of this possibility. It is hard to refuse to give out your number or refuse to communicate via text. A separate pay-as-you-go phone sounds like a good idea.
Cloud99 is offline   Reply With Quote