Help

BusyBoard

Speech

>

pinacolada

Speech
Old 12-01-2017, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I apologize in advance if I posted to the wrong group.

My son currently is in the districtís preschool sdc program. He attends school every day for 2 hours. During the week he gets speech 2x and OT once; both of which are small group.

My son has no words. Just a few approximations and thatís it. The students in his speech group are all speaking in 3-4 word sentences. We are in the process of getting speech privately because I donít think heís gaining much from a small group. That having been said, can I request that he get speech 1 on 1 from the district? Someone from a parent support group had the same issue and she was able to get the district to pay for speech at a private clinic since all of their speech sessions were small groups. Is this also possible?

pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Get him all the help you can
Old 12-01-2017, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would advocate for private and social group lessons in speech. I would also conference with the speech therapist to find what you can do at home to help develop your child's speech.The small groups can encourage him to talk with peers. The private lessons give him a chance to practice speaking with no peers around to judge.

Do you eat at the dining table and talk as a family? This would be really good for him.

I would start to play board games like Chutes and Ladder as soon as he is ready and discuss your moves and just talk to one another while you play.

Have him help you in the kitchen while you are cooking. Talk about what you are doing and ask him questions about his day or whatever. Give him enough time to answer. I know you said he is not verbal now but he will be.

Good luck. You are smart to ask questions and advocate for your child to receive the best possible therapy.

My son started speech therapy at the age of two. He was using a few words but not many. he was in speech therapy through elementary school. He is about to turn 30 now and he loves to talk. Try not to worry too much. Your son will talk when he is ready.

I would read him stories an ask him to make sounds for different things that happen during the story. Maybe sounds will be easier than words.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

SLP services
Old 12-01-2017, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If I'm remembering correctly, your son has autism, right?

In my experience with my DS, putting him with more verbal peers has made his language explode. That being said, if you don't feel his goals are being met, ask for something different. The worst they can do is say no.

Does your state have an autism scholarship? Mine does and it's been a life saver. There are stipulations, but it's been very beneficial to our son.

If I can help, please let me know.
h0kie is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

You can always ask!
Old 12-01-2017, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm assuming that your son is receiving Early Childhood Special Education services for ages 3-5 from the school district. Is there a formal plan for his services? (Can't remember what an IEP for preschoolers is called) If so, I would start by reading it carefully. There is probably an additional document with Rights spelled out.

You may be able to formally request a meeting to discuss whether the current services are appropriate or whether some changes are needed. And, of course, just as any parent can do, you can contact his teacher and ask about how he is doing and express your concerns (don't forget to mention what may be going well). You can always ask for additional (or different) services, but that doesn't mean he will get them.

I definitely like the suggestion from another poster that you ask how you can reinforce at home what is being worked on in school. Is he making any noticeable progress in reaching goals listed on his IEP (whatever it is called).
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

pinacolada

Old 12-02-2017, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

He has not made really any progress towards his goals. He has had the same speech goals since he started speech therapy when he was 2 which was funded through the regional center. His goal was 10 words or approximations and he is 3.5 years old and he is still at that.

We do all of the aforementioned activities and read lots of books with repetitive text, sing songs and leave out certain words and prompt the the first sound of the word we left out.

pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

More
Old 12-02-2017, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Have you tried linguistic mapping with him?

I saw immediate results with DS when he started at lhis center. They talk to him differently than most people do. Another thing that changed his verbal skills was us learning to comment more and question less. We bombard kids with questions and questions can be confusing for ASD kids.

DS's goals haven't changed since his original IEP was done at 3, but he's making gains. It's a long, long process.

Is your DS in a school that is especially for kids on the spectrum? Is there one nearby?

You know your child best. Definitely continue to advocate for him.
h0kie is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Don't give up
Old 12-02-2017, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Just keep doing what you are doing and he will speak when he is ready. Always act positive when encouraging him to speak as if it was going to happen this time. I know sometimes you feel down about his lack of speech but don't allow him to see that doubt.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote