Help

BusyBoard

Leader in Me

>

arsabl

Leader in Me
Old 12-03-2017, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school is undergoing Leader in Me training this year. Iíve read the book and teach the leadership habits to my students. Iíve done so on my own for several years. However, these training sessions make me rethink the program. It feels a bit like religious indoctrination which is not ok in a public school. Our next training session focuses on school and classroom culture. The cost of this training is astronomical!

What are your thoughts on the program? Anyone teach in a Leader in Me school? Pros? Cons?

arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Cons
Old 12-03-2017, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Having spent several years in academia studying what makes schools effective, I would say that such training for the most part would be a waste of money. Any school reform effort should focus on the school leadership - everyone from the superintendent down to the principals. In many cases, counter-productive leadership practices (as evidence by many posts in this forum) contribute to toxic school climates that are not conducive to effective teaching and learning. Programs that seek to change students' attitudes and behavior miss the center of the target by a long shot!
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 12-03-2017, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I ordered the book after hearing some things about it. It makes me uncomfortable also. And the expense is HUGE! I think you can have a positive school and classroom culture without going to these extremes.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

MollyDogsMom

We do
Old 12-03-2017, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

my school started it years before I began teaching there. From what I hear, it made a huge positive impact on student behavior and overall morale. When the district added in PBIS it was harder to fully maintain as the focus was then shared. I believe they worked hard to intertwine both though. Because it became more expensive and funding went down, we haven't had as much training so teachers like me coming in do not get as much official training. A teacher I talked with who wishes we could get back to better implementation believes we are slipping backwards to worse behavior patterns because of this. As for religious undertones, I do not see that...unless you view finding ways to create positive relationships and positive ways to be successful as religious. Unless we are saying "be proactive because that is what God would want" I don't see it as religious...of course we aren't saying that. I discuss with my third graders that we are growing into 4 th graders and these are ways to be ready for 4th grade. When I first started I was skeptical as well, but now I see it as very helpful in creating a positive classroom where kids take more ownership in their choices.
MollyDogsMom is online now   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Just Curious
Old 12-03-2017, 11:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

MollyDogsMom,

I'm assuming you work at a low-performing school. As behavior patterns fluctuated, according to the implementation of Leader in Me, were there any significant changes in overall/school-wide academic achievement (as measured by standardized test scores)? I ask this question only because with few exceptions, low-performing schools tend to remain in this category despite the expenditure of huge amounts of time and money to reverse the trend. All too often such schools neglect to evaluate the effect of reform efforts on student achievement.

Last edited by Ucan; 12-03-2017 at 11:56 PM..
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

MollyDogsMom

Scores
Old 12-04-2017, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Actually despite having a larger percentage of spec ed and second language learners, our scores were above the average of the other schools in our district who didn't do Leader in me. But, for me, I also look at student attitude towards school (which can also effect attendance ) and number of behavior referrals. Test scores by itself do not show the whole picture as we know not all academic learning is perfectly showcased through standardized testing. We are a title one school as well.
MollyDogsMom is online now   Reply With Quote