Help

BusyBoard

Saying something besides "stop talking!"

>

SoCalTeach

Saying something besides "stop talking!"
Old 11-30-2017, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My classes are VERY chatty, even while I am talking or giving directions. I find myself raising my voice with them, either saying "shhh" very loudly, or yelling "stop talking!". I know this is not helping the situation. It just becomes noise to them after a while.

Any way to (hopefully) calm down and still get the point across to the kids? They are 5th graders, by the way.

SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Try This...
Old 11-30-2017, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=594733
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 11-30-2017, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

3,2,1...talking is done. I give "points" to my class if everybody is quiet when I try to get their attention. After they get 10 points, they earn a reward (something simple like extra recess, free play, etc.)

I also will compliment students who are being quiet and then say, "We're still waiting for a few students to stop talking and have their eyes on me." When I do this, I am hoping to get the attention of those not listening to me while they also hear what I am expecting of them. It usually stops them pretty quickly.

Have you tried a nonverbal cue? I used to have a chime and it was so nice not having to raise my voice. I might pull that out again now that I'm thinking about it. You'll never have to raise your voice again!
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

froggy1433k

electric doorbell
Old 12-02-2017, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I purchased an electric doorbell through Amazon. It has 36 ringtones. I press it and they know that have up to 2 presses until they have to be absolutely silent. It works wonders.
froggy1433k is offline   Reply With Quote

Czechgirl

Attention Getter
Old 12-02-2017, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do a different attention getter every week, but my favorite one that really works is:

I say: Flat Tire:

They say: Shhhhhhh!

Czechgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 12-05-2017, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The link below will take you to the Teacher vs. Students game. I love it, and Ive had great success with it, but you have to be totally committed to it. If you just use it occasionally, the students wont care about it.

http://www.teachhub.com/teacherstude...ior-management
bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

bernie28

Why stop talking?
Old 12-10-2017, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Get student's attention by doing something outrageous, by giving opening activities outside the box, or by engaging the ring leader or ringleaders.
1. Observe who starts the talking or who is the most vociferous. Give them an assignment that allows them to lead a teaching activity. Give bonus points. Others will want to be included so watch them to decide who would be the next to lead.
2. Teach outside in the open, you won't hear the noise. But give bonus points for those who use their time well.
3. Extra recess or a Friday afternoon last period games activity for the last half hour is great. Everyone takes their books outside because you will be dismissing from outside the classroom. If there was someone who could not reduce their talking to share during the week, they get to "sit and watch" while the others play. Once you start this routine you can't stop. But occasionally stop for no reason so they miss it and want to continue.
Talkative students are better, in my opinion, that quiet students.
bernie28 is offline   Reply With Quote