Help

BusyBoard

How long to accept late work?

>

MissAgnes

How long to accept late work?
Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Some of my students are having a hard time completing work and turning it in. It's for no other reason than they just aren't using their time wisely.
I have one student who still has not turned in an assignment that was due on November 2nd. She has had MORE than enough time to complete it in class. She has serious attitude issues, and twice has crumpled up an assignment and thrown it away.
She no longer has class time to complete it, as we have moved well on, and class time is full with current assignments.

MissAgnes is online now   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

A month!?
Old 12-05-2017, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's incredibly generous of you. But I think that this student has shown you several times through their actions that they have chosen not to do the assignment. I allow students to make those choices.

I accept late work until the Friday of the next week, max. Otherwise I forget about the assignment.

My school policy is actually only 2 days, so I'm considered lenient.
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I know I'm being generous.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The student in question currently has an "F" because of incomplete or missing work. That's the reason I'm still open to accepting it.
We have no school wide policy, and some teachers accept work up to the end of the quarter.
MissAgnes is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 12-05-2017, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I tended to be on the generous side also because I wanted my students to acquire the learning that had led to assigning the homework in the first place.

I think a reasonable/generous amount of time would be up to the day before the material is being tested. After that, we're on to the next unit.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Late Work
Old 12-05-2017, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As a second grade teacher, I accept it if they bring it. They are much younger and mostly at the mercy of the adults in their lives. I donít send home anything that will be for a grade, just the review/practice.

When I taught 4th-8th, I was much pickier. I gave the number of days absent to make up work. I accepted work no later than 3 school days after itís original due date. After that, there was no point, because we moved quickly.

MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote